Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)

Got this comming up on my Zafira GSI anyone know any common causes?

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Got/Had that on mine.... Did post on here and only got one reply...... I might as well post the suggestion I got incase you dont get any other help:

Fuel trim bank 1 refers to the sensor before cat as you say, problem is that the code means the sensor is throwing up out range readings.
    This may point towards a faulty sensor, but as you say it was replaced, so you have to look at why it is picking up incorrect readings, as it is looking at the fuel mixtures then it could be air/vacuum leak as a obvious start point.
    My car never suffered any ill effects from it tho and I did over 460 miles in one go ( when I went to trax ) and the car was fine..

Would love to fing out what causes it on mine but cannot bebothered paying Vaux to tell me what I already know ( Fuel Trim bank 1 )..

I have had mine running on Digimoto and when I check the sensors it shows FT Bank 1 "short term" fluctuating between 0 and 7% but all the other 3 ( FT Bank 1 long term and FT Bank 2 Short and Long term ) as -1%.. So I assume thats the problem on FT Bank 1 Short Term..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Well mine had the error code today, so i cleaned it and hopefully it wont come back, its due for a MOT in a couple of weeks so i hope this doesnt cause it to fail

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Here is some more info on the Fuel Trims on a FORD site - http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fuelmonitor.htm

I am suprised more people on here have not had this problem and given imput ( maybe its a rare issue but doubt it )..

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    That fault code has come up on mine a few times, but it seems that it only comes up when the AFM needs changing,

but saying that i dont check to see if the fault code is still there once it has been cleared when the AFM is changed and codes re-set.

be interesting to see what it actually means

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    It best not be the AFM as i've just a two replaced in under 500miles

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Just though Id post these on here as its directly related to the fault..

This pic was taken with the fault code still active ( and em light on )

This pic was taken after resetting the fault ( NO em light )

You can clearly see the difference in Bank 1 LT and ST trim... I have no idea what its telling me as suck but thought id post the info as someone migh know what it means..

Here is a pic of the fault code:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    I also have this fault code and have posted here before but to no avail. Vaux said it was P0170 but the fault was 'not present' and there were no running problems (only emissions control light on dash).

Vaux have told me that to get to the bottom of the problem would require stripping parts off the engine at a great cost and would not change performance. I just now have to live with the light on the dash.

Was thinking of changing AFM but didnt want to spend all that money with no result seen as the car is running fine.

MADMUNKY-if you manage to solve this one plz PM me, and i will do the same likewise

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    I am guessing, but could this be a discrepency between the 2 lambda sensor readings?

You'd expect a difference, but the ECU couls ahve a parameter for the diffence,if cross could trigger the fault.

If the fault is on TIS then there should be a check list to determin the cause, unfortunalty most dealers are too lazy to follow the proceedures.

It appears to be a fueling issue, this would involve the lambda sensors.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, you are also getting alot of incomplete test under non continuously monitored systems. Now with regard to them tests i have a similar result but i get -

Catalyst Monitoring Compete
    Oxygen Sensor Monitoring Not Supported
    Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring Not Complete

All the rest come up Not Supported.

I went out in my mates completely standard Coupe turbo and the above tests i just quoted come back complete.......

Can anyone with Engine Check or Digi Moto software see what they get and post results please.

Going to double check this again tonight and will post some screen shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast