Thread: Change Of Job

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Change Of Job

I have been thinking about it for a while now, but I still cannot decide on what I want to do. For the past six almost seven years, I have been working in an office environment, sitting in front of a PC answering telephones. I really need a a change as to be honest, it is getting boring. The money where I am now is the best I have had and I probably wont be any better if I go elswhere. But, if you dont enjoy the job, money is not really a concern.

Couple of years back, I have thought about being a courier driver, just me and a van on the road with no nagging people standing over you all the time. I am seriously thinking about again now.

My question is, do we have anyone here who is a courier driver, as I want to know what is involved in being one?

Cheers all for your help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    probably a whole lot more stress Al, done a few temp driving jobs years ago, no multidrop, but quite a lot of running around. Like any job has its +ve's and -ve's. Nice being out there, your won boss, but real pain in the arris when your running behind

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I did excatly what you want to do, and I love the job being out all day, seeing different folk, but can get a bit much when your behind or have loads of extra jobs on. Mines broke up a bit as I still do repairs ect in my job to the machines not just deliver them. But as for the money you do Miss it. I dropped so much money. I earn less now than what I did on sick at my last place and thats with o/t.
    HGV is well paid and the same thing as a courier ect, out on the road all day own boss ect

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Someone ask for a courier
    Great job for meeting all sorts of people. Money wise it would depend on location and company you work for.
    Am with DHL for the moment, moral's low since the buy over a couple of years ago, they decided to use our location to intergrate DHL (My employer) and the old Securicor Omega into one place.
    At the moment am looking into getting my HGV licence so I can move else where within the company's network for even better money.
    Oh its easier to get into courier work if you've had multi-drop experience as it will be quite daunting to someone who has never done this before.
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Isnt it just a matter of taking a package from A to B?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ....and a load of betty swollocks !!!!

Depending how big/small your drop off/pick up area is !

I did van driving (delivering toys and stationary around scotland) and although great most of the time - I could'nt see me doing it all the time

mainly because I would lose my licence !!!!

I got stopped once coming back from Inverness, just wearing my boxers (very hot day) !!!
    Got a warning and had to get dressed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    It is in a way, but your doing it anything from 20 - 80+ times a day. That would be along with all the delivery and pickup paperwork.
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have you looked/considered anything else?
    Recently joined BT as an engineer and it is a good job. Meet loads of different people, work on your own, pay is pretty good etc.

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle247
    have you looked/considered anything else?
    Recently joined BT as an engineer and it is a good job. Meet loads of different people, work on your own, pay is pretty good etc.
    There is not much else I have really considered to be honest. As long as it is no office job or just office job only.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was in the same boat mate, sick of sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen all day - not healthy. I decided to go to college to do Civil Engineering, so I can be out and about and earn more pennies hopefully.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast