Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No sound from new amp install

Hi,

I'm new at this and have run out of ideas.

I have installed the amp power, earth and remote lead. The light comes on when the Head Unit is switched on but I am getting no sound from the speakers.

I have checked the gain on the amp, made sure it is not switched to bridge and checked the phono leads to make sure they work.

What else is there to check? Can I put a multimeter on the Head Unit phono out sockets to check if there is any voltage?

thanks,

/Mad

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fuse make sure it aint blown ?
    18/16v mk 4 astra saloon bmc cda a Ffoeg special veccy pipe full catback system full entainment system 17inches lowered 40mm all round

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for reply.

Main fuse is ok, both fuses on amp are ok. Amp power light is on.

But the amp is stone cold, no heat at all. It is 2nd hand, could it be dead, or could my head unit not be outputting to the phono?

thanks,

Status
    the man in the boat
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    is the phono leads right in on the back of your head unit

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes,

the phonos are in tight, but I will double check that (ticking those boxes).

I only have 1 speaker wired into the amp, this won't make a difference will it?

Annoying as it all is, at least all the wiring is done and if there is a problem with the amp, it is a 5 min job to replace.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only things that i can think of is a faulty amp like u stated or there being a settin ont he HU its self.

Dont Turn the Gain All the way down other wise you wont hardly be able to hear anything.

What Amp is it your running and what HU are you running?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

It is a Pioneer DEH-P3500MP head Unit and a Boss Sound Amp.

The amp has a switch for 4CH 3CH 2CH a gain for 4/3CH and another gain for 2CH.

2 x phono inputs, the left hand one has 1R and 2L the right has 3R and 4L.

1R O O 3R
    2L O O 4L

I have the input on the 1R and 2L (leads above each other).

On the back, there are 2 banks of 4 speaker connections

1R ---- 2L
    3R ---- 4L

I have tried the speakers on nearly every combination possible, but assume that the first two on the top left are + and - respectively.

Power: The amp has both Power & Protect lights on when the HU is on.

If I put a meter from the power terminal accross to the earth I get 11.78V. Testing from the Power to a different earth point than the one I used also gives me this voltage.

If I do a continuity test from the amps earth connector to this other earth point I get a signal (so it is def earthing correctly).

Gain is turned up and the amp has been tried on most settings (desperation setting in).

I'm not clued up on amps, but have done all the leccy tests I know and as far as I can say, I have it all wired up correctly.

thanks guys for your help, good to talk things through.

/Mad

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the protect light is on buddy, that means it needs to be sent off to pioneer to be reset. Happened with my kicker amp a year ago whilst it was still under warranty.

Basically, it has stopped output to the speakers. There must have been some kind of surge to the amp, perhaps even a short with no fuse inline.

It may be worth getting in contact with pioneer before you do anything else..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJCoupe
    If the protect light is on buddy, that means it needs to be sent off to pioneer to be reset.
    Oh,

never mind, the amp was only £10 from a mate at work. I will get my money back.

thanks for all your help, should have mentioned that protect light earlier, but as I said, I'm new to this. At least my wiring is good though.

thanks,

/Mad

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The hard part is out of the way and you can find some decent 2 or 4 channel amps for good prices.

A good rule would be to stick with the same manufacturer of your headunit for the amp as they tend to work best with each other often employing the same sort of technology, but there are some good combinations out there too.