AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Adjusting X18XE1 throttle cable

Is this possible?

If so, how?

I have some free movement at the top of my accelerator pedal which I would like removed as it is annoying, and also I can't help thinking that if there's free movement there, then it is never opening the throttle as far as it will go.

The free movement is there at the throttle body end aswell, as the little rocker lever thing that the throttle cable connects to can move slightly before it moves the bit which appears to be directly connected to the throttle body.

I'll get some pics up when I track the camera down.

Thanks

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There should be some adjustment at the TB end - usually a ridge metal section at the end of the cable where it's held on to the mounting bracket.

Pull the spring clip off and slide the sleeve backwards and the nrefit the clip

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I knew it would be you

Do you mean this bit?

You can see the ridges in this piccy

And as you can see it also has cable operated cruise to make things easier (the higher of hte two cables).

I'm thinking that adjusting the cable from the accelerator pedal shouldn't affect the cruise control at all as it just grabs the cable and holds it wherever it is, so doesn't have a set "zero" position. If that makes any sense.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for the hiJack

Can I possibly ask you what car you have??

I have the x18xe1 and would love to convert it to cruise control...

please spill the beans!!

Cheers

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, that's the clip.

It's normal to adjust it from the TB end by moving the clip. Do do it too tight tho or you may open the butterfly up a wee bit and affect the idle speed, - so just do it one grove at a time (with the enigine running) and see how it goes, before going up another notch.

IIRC you can't do the pedal end - it's just got a springy shock absorber dooddy on it, and no way to adjust it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, will have a look at doing that then.

Willbaroo: It's an S-reg 1.8 Sport 5 door. I think theres a fair bit of info about cruise-ing cable throttled cars on here, I found most of it searching before I started this thread.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, that did the trick thanks. It needed moving by six notches, which seems rather a lot. The car feels much better now. Although as I am used to pushing the pedal down about an inch before it does anything, you can imagine how boy-racerish my first attempt at pulling away was.

I do have one more question, which I will now attempt to explain using this pic:

When I open the throttle as far as the cable will allow by pushing the top of the pivoting lever on the left to the right, the bit connected to the butterfly opens a certain amount. (around 90 degrees) But when it is like this I can move the metal bit connected to the butterfly inside the plastic surround further round. So, is this extra rotation making the throttle more open, or is it going past its ideal position and is in fact starting to close it again? And is it supposed to be like this or should that extra movement be controlled by the cable? I have only tried this with the engine off, so I don't know if this is still the case when the engine is running.

Thanks again!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that plastic/metal bit is something to do with the cold start device, and opens up the butterfly a bit (automatically) during startup to let it idle.

BTW the butterfly is on the right hand spindle (going by the pic), and it's max opening is when the plate insde the TB is vertical - ergo max opening for the air to get in

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When the engine is off, would the butterfly be completely closed, so would be horizontal?

I think I'll get out my protractor and see what sort of degrees its opening with the cable and the odd extra bit.

You can just about see the extra few degrees of rotation on these two if you flick between them quickly enough. I was going to make a little vid but it's too gloomy now.

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The butterfly (inside the TB) isn't parallel to the linkage on the ouside. The only way to check is drop the inlet pipe off the TB and take a looksee inside.

When it's closed, it lays at roughly 10-15 degrees across the inside of the TB, and on full throttle it is vertical. It's difficult to explain in text, but pop the pipe off and all will become clear.

As long as the throttle plate is vertical in the TB when the pedal is right dwn than you can't make it open any more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast