Thread: Astra Coupe 1.8 power increase?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Coupe 1.8 power increase?

I have got a 2003 Astra coupe SE2 1.8 with a BMC CDA and a cat-back stainless steel exhaust system.

I am looking at ways to get more power out of my engine after reading lots of exciting posts on here about guys with turbo engines getting massive gains.

From what i have researched on the net i think i can get an ecu remap done to take my power from 125bhp to 140 bhp. Would this be worth the £180-plus which it would cost, would i notice much difference and also how much would my existing induction kit and exhaust bring on top of the 140bhp?

Cheers for any help or thoughts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Deffo get the remap mate - it is likely to make the car smoother through the revs and pull better overall, your induction kit may get you a few more ponies but each car is different really so it's difficult to predict what it would get on a RR really.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you done the Vectra C air feed? Try this with a derestricted air box and a good panel filter, much better than an induction kit as they tend to suck in hot air from the engine bay which will not help your engine.
    199 BHP 322 lbs/ft Torque from a smokey diesel!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The BMC is closed induction iirc - does pretty much the same job as a derestricted air box though I think.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No i've not done the veccy c mod as i'm not sure whether this would benefit me or not. I've got a BMC Carbon fibre enclosed airbox induction kit which is completely sheilded and sealed from hot air.

I'm just not sure whether i would notice the difference going from 125 to 140bhp? What do u guys think? Also. If i was to expect 150bhp from this remap and my existing BMC CDA and cat back ss exhaust, is that acheivable or am i being unrealistic for a 1.8 normally aspirated?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, didnt realise the BMC was an enclosed unit! Going from 125 to 140 bhp is a 15 bhp increase so im sure you wil notice something! I removed the pre cat from my 2.2 16v which is only a minor bhp increase but i could feel the difference after 4000 rpm.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Andy. Yeah thought i might notice something but not sure whether i would notice it enough to be worth spending hundreds of pounds on.

Have toyed with the idea of getting an ecu remap/chip now for a couple of years but have never been sure of the gains to expect. Don't know what kind is best so am looking from a bit of advice from guys on here that have maybe done the same thing to a 1.8 engine.

Also, apart from what sort of power increase to expect, i am in a bit of a bind as to location. I live in the north east of scotland so travelling down to the south of england just to get a remap probably wouldn't be economically viable. Is it possible to buy a piggyback ecu mail order through the post or to send my ecu away to get remapped, or can anyone suggest a good supplier in scotland with a good reputation?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive been wanting a map for a while but my car went tits up last month, after removing the pre cat it all went wrong....... after trying to pin point the problem with help from members on here i ended up going to VXL and they told me the EGR valve was ****ed and the ECU is broke! They fitted a new EGR valve which cured the problem i had but they also said my ECU is broke and needs replacing asap, well touch wood the car has been fine so im a bit worried about a remap if my ECU is screwed!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also.... there is wilko on here that has done a few maps on members cars, he isnt too far away from you, he is based in scarbourgh iirc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much are these remaps? sounds good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast