Thread: My 2.2 is drinking oil

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 2.2 is drinking oil

My 2.2 has recently started drinking a lot of oil.
    I serviced it about 4 months ago, and haven't been checking the oil, but last week I checked it and there was none on the dipstick. It took a full 2 litres to bring it up to max.
    Today I checked it again and its way down again - took about 3/4 litre.

Engine still feels smooth and pulls OK, and there were no warning lights or messages. What are the chances of not having done serious damage to the engine, and what's going on? (I suspect piston ring, but why would the engine still feel smooth?)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1 litre every 1000 miles apparantly is the norm

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How many miles has you 2.2 done? No oil on the driveway etc, The car will still drive smooth even though oil is being burn't through the piston rings, do you see blue smoke when you drive or when putting your foot down.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 2.2's tend to use a little more oil than the rest, a LOT more noticable if you don't warm the car for a minute or two before driving it, makes a huge difference. Although quite a few 2.2's have oil consumption, none are a 'problem' because it's less than the 1L/1000mile mark. Some people consider if not good enough, but meh.

If it's under warranty, get it looked it. If it's not, let it warm up a little, don't drive it hard while warming up and keep an eye on the oil
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Odd you should say that as mine used sod all oil between services.

If it's losing oil then it's either burning it or dropping it, so firstly check under the engine for any signs of drippage or dribblage, and get that crossed off the list first.

then you needto get someone to look for any blus smoke in the exhaust when you when you start it up, after being stood over night.

Also get someone to follow you whilst driving it (reasonably hard) - again looking for any signs of smoke - since different worn parts will cause different "smoke signals".

if you can provide better info - ie smokes on start up, smokes on acceleration or decleration, smokes at high revs, it's much easier to pinpoint the possible problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [quote=Ffoeg]Odd you should say that as mine used sod all oil between services.

Yeah, mine didn't use any oil until recently.

>If it's losing oil then it's either burning it or dropping it, so firstly check >under the engine for any signs of drippage or dribblage, and get that >crossed off the list first.

There's no sign of any leak

>then you needto get someone to look for any blus smoke in the exhaust >when you when you start it up, after being stood over night.

I haven't noticed any blue smoke myself, but I guess it must be there - I did smell burning oil yesterday when I had the window open.

There's no way that using a litre of oil in a week (probably only around 120 miles) could be considered 'normal'. I know there is some major problem.

My big worry is that having driven around with very little oil in the car for some time (maybe up to a month), I could have knackered the engine (e.g. big ends). Any thoughts on that?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there any oil in your water coolant bottle as it could be a head gasket on its way out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no point worrying now mate whats done is done, didnt the oil light come on, if not its either faulty or there was oil in there. u need to find where its leaking. i looked over a 1.6 astra yesterday it was killing oil like yours and not a trace of it till we revved the engine, and there was lots of blue smoke.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my 1.8 uses loads of oil. im forever topping it up from off the dipstick. not sure its more than 1 litre per 1000km but i still think thats alot.

its done 90k, its 6 bhp above standard, runs beautifully.

No blue smoke, no leaks, and Ive changed all the oil valve seals.

Just one of those things. You may be in the same boat.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1.6 uses an extrodinary amount of oil too, It's almost like an RX8. I top it up each time I re-fuel because there's hardly any left. I think it's safe to say you're not alone mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast