Thread: Astra / New Road Angel

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra / New Road Angel

After seeing Road Angel up and running in GSIButch's car, i decided to purchase myself one, however, ive noticed a few problems and just wanna know if anyone else experiances the same and if the Astra windscreen plays a part in my problems.

When you switch the device on it says "searching for satellites" it continues to do this for ages. recently i had to stop moving until it eventually locked onto whatever it was searching for. ive tried putting the road angel high up next to the rear view mirror and low down as far as it will possibly go on the dash, still recently its failed to connect. sometimes it will work straight away, other times it wont work for the whole of my journey.........does anyone else have this problem and do the astra windscreens play a part. not sure if its possible to reset a road angel and Ive also lost my manual for it.....ive looked online but still im confused.

Any help appreciated.

Carl
    Sold Subject to Status - 2003 MK4 ARDEN BLUE > SEE PIC > ....GSi

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know the road angel - I'm pretty sure its the shielded windscreen..

Does it have an external aerial ?, can you get one for it ?

My OriginB" aerial os on the roof, and connects every time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Taken from ZLET:

Road Angel Installation, getting around the Solar reflective Screen problem
    whilst utilising the RA unit further for navigation

On some zlet model/s a detection or satellite receiver might not work as effectively on your front dash due to:

Heat reflective windscreen: as this is less permeable to light and infared radiation

1.Inner Glass Layer
    2.Laminated Glass Film
    3.Metal Layers Applied by vacuum evaporation
    4.Outer Glass Layer

Two of the metal layers are made from silver, these two layer have a heat reflective function. The other metal layers only have protective and supportive functions. To ensure function of send and receive devices that are base on infared i.e. remote control the screen area in front of the inner rear view mirror, does not have any metal layers.
    I purchased my Road Angel (RA) for another car I had last year which worked perfectly on the front dash, linking with satellites within a couple of minutes from startup. When I fitted the device to the coupe-t though it wouldn't work on the dash due to the screen and I had to temporarily resort to placing the RA on the rear shelf, which worked fine but was a real pain to read and setup : (
    After a good search around the web, I discovered you could purchase a re-radiating aerial which basically is an extendable satellite aerial that re-radiates the signal to the receiver/RA (the one I found has a 45cm range to the receiving unit).

Working from the cars 12v power supply you can either attach the magnetic mount receiver to the outside or inside of your car, in an area which allows clear reception, which in my case I opted for the rear screen.
    The re-radiating antenna is then placed close to the RA device (approx within a 45cm range), as the cables 3m long this was run along the head lining down the front windscreen pillar and out onto the front dash, as shown below:

Its then just a case of placing the Road Angel in its cradle and connecting the power to the RA and Re-Radiating aerial via the cigarette/accessory plug : )
    Navigation
    Special thanks goes out to John Pinner who helped with a crucial part of this navigation install.
    If your like me and you have difficulty reading your map whilst driving : o, then read on. This simple addition can save a lot of time and effort getting to those meets.
    As the Road Angel has a powerful 12 channel GPS receiver you can utilise this further whilst still using it's camera and blackspot locator, by purchasing one or two other additional items:
    1. Pocket PC/PDA device with a 128mb card
    2. Navigation software i.e. TomTom 2
    3. A cable kit which powers the Road Angel as well as the PDA and links the two together for sharing the GPS data. This you can purchase from: www.holux-uk.com
    Its just a simple case of setup, wiring and mounting the PDA unit:

Works a treat : )
    Cleanest car awarded 'Fast Show' 2006 & 2007

Total Vauxhall featured Sept 2007

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks For That - Dam Windscreen!!
    Sold Subject to Status - 2003 MK4 ARDEN BLUE > SEE PIC > ....GSi

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Malv, i have an exteranl antenna!!!!!!!

I run the wire around the screen and attached it with a sticky pad on the glass that has black dots on it!!! works a treat now and locks on in seconds!!!

I havent read the other posts but the screens are made with silver for UV reflection! sorry if anyone already put this!
    GSi Turbo - CS2 - 253bhp / 275ft/lb Torque
    1/4 mile - 14.62secs @ 95.5mph

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Alfa would that work with a snooper as i have the same problem, mine won't connect at all to the satellite due to the windscreen. Any idea where i can get one from?

Edit found it on ebay. How could you keep the 2 items 3 meters apart? Any idea if it would work ok with the reciver on the rear screen and the output thingy behind the dash, then have the snooper on the dash? Not really sure how this works as surely the thing that sends out the signal would need to be in view of the top of the snooper (where it receives its data from the sat)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I put my RA under/behind my rear mirror and it works, i'm waiting on a package for an airiel, i want an internal one to put on the dots inside, behind the RVM.
    There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.

Stirling Moss.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont put it high up on the windscreen - its less likely to detect laser guns....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    dont put it high up on the windscreen - its less likely to detect laser guns....
    And by the time it has detected laser guns you have been done so irrelevant where you mount it.