Thread: what will i need?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what will i need?

at the mo i have got two 1000W subs and a 750W amp, and when it is banging the headlights dim and flicker, but i have bought a genesis amp to power my new rainbow front speakers, what will i need to stop this problem as putting these in will make it a lot worse wont it?
    thanks in advance!
    Got XBOX LIVE? Gimme a game!
    Gamertag: DOGBOY14

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    either uprate ur battery & alternator (also the wiring should be upgraded to) but a powercap maybe the best option. do a search for powercap or dimming etc.... its been covered loads of times before

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit
    either uprate ur battery & alternator (also the wiring should be upgraded to) but a powercap maybe the best option. do a search for powercap or dimming etc.... its been covered loads of times before
    When ive been researchin this problem its always down to the Cabling.

Power cap wont really sort it out. unless you bought a rediculasly expensive one as its not the amount of farads it has its the length of time it can hold the charge for (the beat)

Sub will take the charge from the capacitor and then if it needs anyextra take it from the battery While its doin this it also needs to charge the capacitor back up causing the lights still to dim they do help now and again but only for small system ive questioned it loads of times.

you need to find out what RMS ur amp is and RMS ur other amp is and add them all together and then work out What cable size to use. Website to help you mate http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

If your drawing 1000watt RMS over a 4 meter distance your going to need 0 guage 100%.

when i upgraded my cable to 4awg in my old system turned audio up and my lights didnt dim i was well impressed but well shocked. Cuz i cudnt understand how a cable had sorted it out.

but upgrade the Big Three as well:

Altnator to battery
    battery To Earth
    Engine Earth

upgrade them to a fat cable and this will 100% help most of your problems as well.

Also a Bad earth can cause the lights to dim bad earth from the Amp to the car frame if thats poor then it will also create dimmin on the lights need to make sure the power can Get back to the battery faster then it can be Taken away.

not sayin im completly correct but ive researched it for ages on car audio direct and they all hate p0wer caps lol! the money that can b spent on a decent enough powercap might as well be spent on Cablin alternetor and new battery. essay over forgive me for spelling errors was Fast reply

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks alot!
    my earth cable from the amps run into the earth from the rear tail lights is this ok?
    Got XBOX LIVE? Gimme a game!
    Gamertag: DOGBOY14

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LIAM-SXI
    thanks alot!
    my earth cable from the amps run into the earth from the rear tail lights is this ok?
    it would be ok i think if there wasnt as much power going back into the battery through that one area.

at a guess (as i aint looked into installin my amps into my Astra just yet as i begrudge drillin a hole through the front lol but will do eventually) them light will either connect directly to the body of the car or Will connect to a thin wire near the battery if it runs through a wire to the battery at the front it will be one of the main reason why your aving problems.

best thing to do is to try make your own earth point try find somewhere in the boot that you can screw a cable onto using the propper connectors and that isnt interfiering with anything else e.g rear lights. ill have to ave look as well See if i can find one since im going to have to eventually me self. i know it sounds obvious but try make sure the surface is cleaned wit sand paper and put some copper greece on the connection to ensure a good earth connection.

in the mean time ill try avin a look at the earthing point that you mean and let you know but its always best to make your own from the boot and upgrade the cable that comes from the body of the car to the battery