Thread: trouble not over..

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry trouble not over..

following on from my previous thread in general chat, I picked up the car earlier today and drove it home with no problems at all. (well, mostly, but that aint important)

However, I've just taken a quick spin to the shops and felt the car "knocking". I'm not sure how best to describe this, but you can hear a definate knocking and feel it while the car is moving. I can feel the knocking through the steering wheel and I've ended up driving home not exceeding 30mph.

The knocking only seems to be happening when staying at an even speed or decelerating and seems to go when you put the foot down. Does anyone know what this is? Is this a really big issue or something relatively small that should be easy to fix?

RobW, would you be up for a visit to have a looksee and give me your opinion? I'm presuming Mackay's will be open tomorrow and would be able to resolve it if necessary.

TIA

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check your wheel nuts.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Lee,

Can I just say thanks very much for your suggestion, it's something I'd never have thought of. I'm really glad you did because I'm really shocked at what i've found.

Every single bolt in that wheel was far less than finger tight. In fact, 5-6 turns brought them right out.

So, can I just warn all Edinburgh people - do NOT use Farmer's Autocare in Musselburgh for any of your tyre/wheel needs. I didn't think much of it at the time but the wee guy who did it was a total ******. His attitude stank and now to find that I very nearly could have been in a serious accident because of his negligence.. well, let's just say I aint best pleased.

Thanks again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Glad you you took on the advice and checked them mate
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    holy shat mate! Thats scary!!

How long you in Marybank for?

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, it's very scary when you consider I was cruising at 90mph back from Aviemore to inverness with that friggin wheel.

The list of thoughts go on.. what if i had my daughter in the car and it came off.. what if I was going round a corner at high speed and it came off.

Me thinks i'll be checking these nuts constantly now.. i'm gonna be permanently paranoid

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad thats all it was

The reason I said it was it can happen.

I used to work at a tyre garage and when you tighten up the nuts on a wheel to the right torque they can come loose due to crap on the hub's wheel centre etc which is why when you ever undo your wheels you should allways check them again after 10-20 miles as nuts have come loose on mine and Lauras cars a few times after removing the wheels