Thread: what would you do?!?!

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what would you do?!?!

3 work opportunities have presented themselves at the same time, all in the web-design/multimedia industry i work with.
    One job is for a cool company, in leeds, who take on the interesting projects, and would be good im sure.
    Another, is mostly speculation, as an in-house guy for just one large organisation (which would prolly pay the best by far, but could get boring at times).
    The third came out of nowhere. It would involve moving over to miami (hollywood), florida - to live/work for at least a couple of years. sounds exciting! but that doesnt necesarily make it the best option. I guess i'd be leaving a fair bit behind, and its semi-scary, but could you say no?!?! the job there would prolly be the most challenging, and i wouldnt want to go through all that to get over there and **** up.

not really sure why im posting this as the details are a bit vague for comment, but i'm struggling to get any half-decent advice/thoughts from anyone. Friends seem a tad jealous of the opportunity and act a bit bitter, which doesnt help...

Anyone ever moved far away for work, and it gone tits up??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    of course moving abroad sounds luxury and an experience not many leave;. but think about things like...

1)who you would be leaving behind
    2) who you would be taking with you wife kids etc
    3) if u have property could you rent it out
    4) how u enjoy working in this country right now!!!

id be very tempted to go personally... would look great on the cv!
    Bungee Jumping

Suicide for indecisive people.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same job opportunity pop up just after i started where i work now.

someone offered me a job in LA doing web design. it was flored only by the fact he works for himself and doesnt have "clients" just develops his own ideas.

i would love to go, but my band is whats holding me back primarily.

in the next couple of years if the job offer is still there, im going, because basically this country is going to pot and US would be an alltime dream for me to setup in, especially music wise.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Job 1 - interesting work for you as a designer/or

Job 2 - could get boring ?...only if you let it. an In-houe guy has the opportunity to shape the job a bit...

Job 3 - Does the miami job have a trial period ??
    If so deffo try that first.

Life's too short to think of 'what if i had done this/that ?'
    Go for the one that most appeals to you - dont bother about mates etc...if they're true friends they'll be pleased for ya !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Isnt Hollywood Los Angeles? West coast, rather than East Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by p_man
    3 work opportunities have presented themselves at the same time, all in the web-design/multimedia industry i work with.
    One job is for a cool company, in leeds, who take on the interesting projects, and would be good im sure.
    Another, is mostly speculation, as an in-house guy for just one large organisation (which would prolly pay the best by far, but could get boring at times).
    The third came out of nowhere. It would involve moving over to miami (hollywood), florida - to live/work for at least a couple of years. sounds exciting! but that doesnt necesarily make it the best option. I guess i'd be leaving a fair bit behind, and its semi-scary, but could you say no?!?! the job there would prolly be the most challenging, and i wouldnt want to go through all that to get over there and **** up.

not really sure why im posting this as the details are a bit vague for comment, but i'm struggling to get any half-decent advice/thoughts from anyone. Friends seem a tad jealous of the opportunity and act a bit bitter, which doesnt help...

Anyone ever moved far away for work, and it gone tits up??

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith
    Isnt Hollywood Los Angeles? West coast, rather than East Coast?
    there is a hollywood in miami, not the main hollywood! thats west coast yea, but i was just been specific.
    yea ladee, things left behind, but really, nothing major. family and friends. I have no long term GF or wife/kids. very tempting as you say.
    there wouldnt be a problem regarding lack of clients, its a big company.
    they actually have offices in cali near the real hollywood , and one in London. so i could no doubt move about a bit, and even come back to this country.
    Good point coo about the second option. Ive done some work for them for a while (freelancing), and they are an open minded organisation that have a lot of respect for me and my ideas.

need to ponder!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You get offered 3 jobs in one hit? Ive been trying to find a job for the last 8 months and no joy yet.... i dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea pretty crazy situation :-o

so what industry are you in? not much goin at the mo?

Quote Originally Posted by d_ghedia
    You get offered 3 jobs in one hit? Ive been trying to find a job for the last 8 months and no joy yet.... i dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_man
    yea pretty crazy situation :-o

so what industry are you in? not much goin at the mo?
    Im in the IT industry.... currently a Consultant/Business Analyst...
    and im looking for a similar type of role but nothings biteing at the moment.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    apparently there are 7 jobs for every 10 people looking at the mo, in general... say one of those 10 get snapped up every month, you should, in theory, have got one in the next couple of months
    I have no hard facts at all to back that up, and it prolly makes little sense... I'll just call it a philly B theory for now.