Thread: V reg 2.0 diesel pump broken

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

V reg 2.0 diesel pump broken

we have a 2.0 16V Di Astra (year 2000 V reg) and the diesel pump has failed at 80k miles. we've had the car from new and its got full vauxhall history.

vauxhall (reg vardys at hartlepool) are quoting £2550 to supply and fit a recon pump that they cant guarantee, tried ringing a non-dealership and they quoted £1400 (£1000 for the recon pump and £400 to fit).

why are the pumps so expensive, i could understand it if it was a ferrari or rolls royce, but a vauxhall? the ford diesel pumps are only about £150 recon or £300 new! and last longer than 80k miles. it seems a shame to spend thousands on a recon pump if it will only last another 80k miles.

is there anywhere sells them at sensible prices? and how hard is it to fit, does it justify a few hundred quid in labour?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi ya Bumface interesting username! welcome to AS for starters, as for the diesel pump have you tried www.autovaux.co.uk they tend to be cheaper than others or try going to a scrappys and seeing what they have.

Good luck
    Cleanest car awarded 'Fast Show' 2006 & 2007

Total Vauxhall featured Sept 2007

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get down the scrappy's mate, where abouts are you? there is one in my local scrappy because i was going to buy the whole engine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Di is the same engine as the DTi only minus the intercooler and different ECU map.

The pump is so expensive, because it's one of the Bosch VP44 range of pumps which runs at very high pressure, and has variable timing and lots of other really complicated things. Because of that, the pump does have the tendancy to fall to bits if you're using low quality or contaminated fuel.

It's not just a problem on Vauxhall engines - it's a trait of the VP family. My mate's mother had to fork out £2k on a reconditioned pump on her 2.2dT Almera last year, and it only had 31k on the clock.

As for swapping the pump yourself, I don't think it's possible, as the ECU and immobiliser is integrated in the pump.

Personally, I'd be looking in the scrappies or Autotrader for a Vectra 2.0Di and ripping the whole engine out of that. It'd be a much easier, and probably cheaper solution.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the replies, most helpful! its been run on asda fuel most of its life, in hindsight it probably should have had regular shots of diesel injector cleaner.

i'm located at hartlepool.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can have the diesel pump swapped with another one from a scrapyard,the ecu and immobiliser are nothing to do with the pump on a v reg astra, but you need to get the same number one as you allready have on yours..eg,003...004..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oddly enough, that Almera I was talking about ran on Asda fuel all it's life too.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...