Thread: engine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine

im looking to buy a mk 4 and the engine is a 16 club the thing is i aint seen it yet so can someone telll me if its the 16v? also are these fast or ok?if theres ne pics that would be great?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im sure the club are the 8v 85bhp models i had one a year or so ago and didnt think much ov it so i got the 1.8 16v sxi 125bhp alot better but thats personel opinion test drive it if poss n tell us what you think
    Astra Coupe SE2 - lowered , de-restricted and soon to be mapped NEW WHEELS ***autobiography below***
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=334120

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes, club models are 1.6 8v and come in 75bhp upto June 2000 engine code X16SZR (single point injection) or from post June the 85bhp Z16SE (multi point injection) I'm not sure if the club was only the early or late or both models. 8v's weren't exactly made with performance in mind - you'll keep up with most things on the road but acceleration isnt really the engines strong point. I personally have an 8v and with the correct mods it can be quite good. To avoid the slaggin off of certain obnoxious members on here it may be better to look for a 16v so you're lookin at 1.4, 1.6 upwards.

At the end of the day its no snail and will do everything u ask of it - its not the fastest thing on the road but that isn't the idea with the car. If u like it and the car fits ur requirements and budget then get it. Just make sure everything is in order its been serviced correctly etc etc etc... What kinda price was it and what year?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its a v reg and i think the head gaskit is about to go! its my girlfriends brother who has it ive got a 14 16v mk3 just bout on the road but if it was good enough i was gonna sell that and buy this mk4!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well if u can get it for good money and can get the h/g fitted for a good price then get it. whats the mileage like? u may also need to account for cambelt and other parts... if the price aint that good then I'd stay clear and go elsewhere.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its going for 600! ive been told by him its a reasonable milage!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well reasonable could mean anything for a quick sale! cambelt will be needed every 40k so if its anywhere near that or more likely 80 id get it changed...especially seeing as the h/g needs to be done. personally speaking 600 + at least 300+ (DIY) for headgasket + 100 (DIY) for cambelt and associated parts it all adds up...and for a v reg 8valver it really doesnt make financial sense.
    its upto u at the end of the day and how much of the work u could do ur self to save extra cash...if u couldnt and had to pay labour costs as well Id defo be lookin elsewhere.

Just my opinion though, and without knowing the full details surrounding this particular car theres nothing really else I can say.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Clubs came in both 1.6 8v and 1.6 16v (inc dual fuel).

So open the bonnet and take a look (or look at the badges if they are still there)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oops i stand correct mr astra sport

it's late and sunday nite - thats my excuse

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    £600 + H/G and Cambelt, still brings it in for £1k. Seems a pretty good price for a mk4 astra. All depends what the rest of the car is like, is the clutch/gearbox etc likely to break soon?

If you can do the work yourself and rest of the car is in pretty good nick i'd say go for it (only if you like the test drive of course )

EDIT, in terms of performance if it is the 8v it will only be very slightly slower than your mk3, if it is the 16v it will be a bit quicker (2 seconds less to 60 )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast