Thread: calipers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

calipers

does anyone know off the top of thier heads when they changed from bosch to lucas callipers because im about due some new rear pads and disks and thought while ive got my hands mucky il replace the calipers if needed

its an 02 plate mk4 1.8 SRi

thanx alot

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you'd be best off posting a pic of the calipers u have and we'll tell ya which ones u have fitted.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good idea i will do that in the morning

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    02 plate will have Lucas as they changed around 2000. Easy to tell either way, Lucas are smooth on top, Bosch have what I can only describe as cooling fins. Both are clearly marked with the manufacturers name, Lucas is clearly visible on the top, can't remember where the Bosch is marked but think that's also on the top.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    apart from the obvious, is there any difference between the two?
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    people say the Lucas are an improvement although I am sure they are tempermental in their own way. Bosch tend to fail at a point where they don't release when the handbrake is disengaged
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    so when u release the handbrake and set off, it like creaks?? thats what mine do, now and again
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCoupe
    apart from the obvious, is there any difference between the two?
    They are interchangeable, both fit the same hub. The pads aren't though. The Bosch seems to be a bad design, they tend to start failing after a few years, they usually start by binding, then they won't release sometimes until finally they just stop working or leak fluid everywhere. Sometimes you get no warning, they just go.

The Lucas handbrake mech is a better design, they are easier to clean and maybe that's the main difference, I think the Bosch holds crap inside too easily and it corrodes the piston and mech, the Lucas is a much simpler design which doesn't seem to do this as much. Lucas aren't infallible, they also have a tendency to stick but the mod seems to cure a lot of this. Bleed nipple is exposed too much so it's a good idea to pull it out occasionally and copper grease the threads on it or it snaps off when your trying to remove it, most calipers tend to do this.

I think the Lucas ones are ok, the Bosch ones are fine if you keep on top of them and take them off every now and then to clean them.

Both calipers can use the same handbrake cable as well. Straight swap if your exchanging calipers, nothing else needed except the caliper and correct pads. And of course fluid
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.