Thread: Loud alarms...how loud...?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Loud alarms...how loud...?

I've been reading around about security and I think I'm gunna go for the clifford concept 650...although they say its the entry-level unit, it has some nice features and I've heard good things about it...

The siren on it is a 515U...same as the clifford 950...anyone know the db rating on this? Tried google but couldn't find much

Also...is it possible to have a louder siren wired into the alarm system? and does anyone know where you can get loud sirens from?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 950 alarm on my astra is rated @ 120 db and it wakes the dead.

If you change the siren on a clifford yourself you will invalidate the warranty and the category 1 status. so dont do it

It's loud enough beleive me!!!!
    Never wee in a hurricane if you don't know how to duck!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try having the alarm going off when you are working under the bonnet! I did it once by accident and I was almost deafened! They are very incredibly loud. And its only a concept 300!!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    120dB? that is loud! according to the clifford site the 950 uses the same siren as the 650...

i heard that clifford will pay out for your car if its stolen with an approved alarm fitted...is that true?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes, but be warned. I got the clifford fitted to the corsa about 4 years ago. It developed a problem to called GAP (who fitted it) to come sort it through the lifetime warranty.

First thing they asked... 'Have you had the alarm serviced once a year as per instructed?'

'No because I was not told and it doesn't say it anywhere in the manual or anywhere really!'

'Well, I am afraid that we cannot come to see it because its not been serviced...'

I live 220 miles from the nearest GAP agent and I knew nothing about this 'service' so if you do get an alarm, ask about that!!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    servicing an alarm? that better be free or very cheap!

so if the alarm fails and your car is nicked...they'll pay out for the cost of the alarm or the cost of the car? wouldn't have though they covered items stolen from the car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am not too sure about the nitty gritty and have no idea about the price of the service, but they do offer to pay out of your car is stolen. I would imagine that items inside the car wouldnt be covered. Any fool with a brick can smash a window!

I would also imagine that there's some very small print. As in 'We'll pay your insurance excess' or something. Enquire about that alarm servicing thing though.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC seeing an advert on the back of max power, they'll give you £500 if your car is stollen, alsong as you have an aproved alarm fitted! and im guessing they'll be lots of little underwrittings, like rob said, they'll probably want it serviced etc...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    yes, but be warned. I got the clifford fitted to the corsa about 4 years ago. It developed a problem to called GAP (who fitted it) to come sort it through the lifetime warranty.

First thing they asked... 'Have you had the alarm serviced once a year as per instructed?'

'No because I was not told and it doesn't say it anywhere in the manual or anywhere really!'

'Well, I am afraid that we cannot come to see it because its not been serviced...'

I live 220 miles from the nearest GAP agent and I knew nothing about this 'service' so if you do get an alarm, ask about that!!
    same happend to me. a service apparantly means: they check all the wires over to make sure they aint snapped or corroded. its basically a get out clause for them