can someone tell me what this is?

*very embarrassed*

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tech2 is the diagnostic software used by Vauxhall . basically its a machine which plugs into the OBD port (On Board Diagnostics) in the vehicle and can detect majority of electrical faults within the system. Can also be used to update software such as ECUs with remaps and the such.

Some non vauxhall garages offer this service too but will not be called Tech2 - usually just OBD.

Does this help? Any more Qs just holla

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well, i'm seeing a lot of posts on the forum (when I did a search to find out more about this) about people making changes etc and then running it through tech2 or whatever.

Are these people taking their car to a garage every time then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah Vx dealers usually charge about £40 to hook it up to the machine to help diagnose the fault. Your car will store the majority of faults in the ECU and therefore it needs to be read by either Tech2 or similar units to let u know the fault - u can buy hand held OBD scanners on ebay for about £40 although there has been varying reports on how good/bad they are.

If ur experiencing a problem with ur motor - dont go str8 to the stealers and get hooked up - come on here and tell us - we'll do all we can to help ya out. Hopefully you'll never have to but if u do - we're on hand to help!

In case ur interested the OBD port will be situated under the small U shaped panel under the handbrake. Early models circa 1998 can be read using the "paper clip method" you'll no doubt read about this in due course. Its a case of bridging two of the connectors on the OBD socket and counting the series of flashes on the dash and comparing it to a designated fault list which then comes up with the error.

Im rabbiting on now so will shutup...I think u get the idea! lol

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, thanks for that!!

I do have a question about the performance of the car and general running.
    Apart from the flat spot (around 2k to 3.5k revs in third) i've noticed the car's reluctance to coast. Doesn't matter what gear i'm in, it still drops speed rapidly as though the brakes have been applied.

I've checked them myself (i'm no mechanic) and I can't see anything wrong. There's no tell tale smells or sounds to suggest an issue with the brakes.

I've never had this problem with any other car I've ever owned, only this one and it's quite frustrating. Any ideas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what engine do you have? It could be the idle control valve (ICV) which is an easy job to take off and clean.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Really couldn't tell you - I'm not that techincally involved in the car yet (only had it for 3 weeks!)

Doubt this will help, but it's an 2000 Astra G 1.6 8v. Also, I've been told that when I picked it up, it had a service and was put through it's MOT.

This fixed/replaced/sorted:

Air/Pollen Filters
    Brake Pipes Replaced
    Pads/Discs Replaced
    Shoes Replaced
    Brake Fluid flushed and changed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a search for the ICV. I think there is a how2 on it somewhere too.

Could also be old spark plugs. They should have been changed too, IMO.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    uh yeah, sorry. They were changed too - been a long day :/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so it could be either X16SZR or Z16SE - the first one will have a large plastic plenum on the top feeding the throttle body - the latter have a large cast ally throttle body....or sumthin along those lines lol (its late and ive had a drink!) as Rob says - the first port of call for any Vx driving like a "turd" is to check and clean the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve and the ICV (Idle Control Valve) together with the main throttle body - these will need a good clean out with carb cleaner.

If u dont have a clue - id strongly advise getting a Haynes manual - youll soon recoop the money spent on the DIY u do.