Thread: Rear Drum Noise?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear Drum Noise?

Another post inspired me to ask about this.

Since the rain has returned, or infact since VX gave me my car back, when I get in the car in the morning, if I let the hand break off, the car will just sit there, although it's parked on an incline.

If I shift my weight about a bit or raise the clutch a clunk can be heard as if its unsticking, and then if I apply the breaks, it sounds like metal rubbing together.

I've not long had the car serviced, and they checked all my breaks and replaced the front pads, so I'm not sure whether they are wearing away or something like that.

Any idea's?

Gav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhall ''checked'' ur brakes!!! yeah right! lol Personally if ur in doubt about them Id jack up the rear, whip off the drum and check the rear linings & handbrake movement. Think u probs read this is the 'other thread' but u get the idea. As for the car just sitting there when u release the handbrake....er...is the car in gear!
    Seriously though if theres no other problems with the brakes then I would just leave it as it is - if not or if u really are concerned then get it in the air and go investigating!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Handbrake cable is sticking, just release it a little and grease all the pivot points, then retension and check operation. My old Cav used to do it all the time, also had a stuck wheel cylinder as well so check those as well if the cable is releasing properly but 9 times out of 10 it's the cable.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I never get my services done by vauxhall, I get them done by a third party that charges me less for the exact same parts, and does a better job.

It's been serviced by vauxhall before hand, and i've now got a nut and bolt as a replacement for a oil sump plug. (previous owner)

Basically, i've always had problems with my breaks, it used to be that on a hill if I put the hand break on, it would roll, i'd have to force it to the next click.

After getting it serviced, they've adjusted the handbreak, so it's now at 3 clicks, but a week or two ago, got in the car, and let go of the handbreak (not in gear, or at least clutch was down) and the car would sit there.

I raised the clutch a bit and "CLUNK" and the car started rolling, but when I put my breaks on, you could hear a grinding or metal rubbing together.

Martin mate, if it were in gear, there'd still be a bit of travel, it didn't even budge, As if I were on a level road.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get your mate to check the brake cylinders, what you describe is exactly how my Cavvy was, random locking of brakes, loud clunking sound when you went to drive off as the brakes came off, handbrake ineffective at times.

To me it sounds like one or more of the wheel cylinders has frozen or is freezing, Vx brakes are self adjusting, if the cylinder isn't moving then neither is one or more of your shoes, then the handbrake cable isn't adjusting either so when you pull it only one side of the car is braking. Remove the drums and check operation of all the cylinders, get your mate to see if they move freely when the brakes are applied, you press the brake pedal as he'll know what to look for.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not a mate that does the work its a third party garage, although one of my customers runs a small business doing this kind of stuff, so I'll see him.