Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to gain more power from Y20DTH

Hi,
    I have an Astra 2.0 Diesel 101HP remaped to about 130HP. It's nice that I'm now above most of the cars that are around 100 horses but what more can be dene to gain power? Has any Astra diesel owner done more than remap?
    Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Airbox mods, decat, bigger bore exhaust are the main simple ones. You're into uncharted territory then, with hybrid turbos, bigger intercoolers, etc.

The exhaust on the Astra is quite restrictive past the cat - it's a larger bore until the exit of the cat, where it reduces at the entry of the middle box. A custom exhaust and decat should help reduce turbo lag.

Who did your remap, and how well does it go?

I'm thinking of getting mine done soon, now that I'm happy with the suspension mods I've just done.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure that changing the exaust would help to much since it's a diesel and also I've heard opinons pro and against gaining power with a sport conic air filter. And about the intercooler is it enough to change only the intercooler or is it something else that must be changed also in the same time?
    My remap was done by TCM tuning (so I think) by some of their representants in Romania. The car is going much better now. The torque is great... 270Nm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why wouldn't an exhaust help a diesel? I've been told by an engineer who works on diesel engines every day, that the best exhaust on a turbo diesel is no exhaust!

With some plumbing you should be able to fit a 9 litre intercooler that would be used on the Z20LET cars. If you don't have aircon, then a full intercooler is possible too. The intercooler cools the charge air from the turbo, the cooler the air entering the engine the better.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can raise the fuel pressure ,change the turbo type and the fuel timing .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I don't know a lot about the Vauxhall diesel engines, but my brother tuned up his Land Rover Discovery and one of the tricks is to change the standard 2.5 litre diesel injectors for something like Nissan 3.2 litre injectors. Maybe there is a larger injector that will fit the Vauxhall engine!!!! Of course he already had the intercooler uprated and head polished etc. and it is pretty quick for an oil burning Disco!