Thread: Loud Exhausts... why?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Loud Exhausts... why?

I'm curious, why do people have loud exhausts on their cars?

I always thought the main purpose of an aftermarket exhaust was to extract as many ponies out of the engine as possible, yes?

The Milltek exhaust on the Astra mk4 Z20LET engines is relatively quiet yet is one of the best for power gains (if not THE best) ... so, if Milltek can make the best performing exhaust quiet, why do people want loud ones?

I'm sure people have exhausts here that are loud so why did you pick it? (I can understand if you have a 1.2 and gaining ponies is not possible so you want to pretend you're fast).

Also, popping and banging, people seem to have a fetish for this, but I was always under the impression that popping and banging was caused by a badly fitted or badly manufactured exhaust? (blowing, leaking etc)

I just cant understand the need for a loud exhaust, IIRC Peco are loud but usually give the worst gains (sometimes worse than OE).
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know, I dont know why I bought my sportex back box, I was quite happy with the irmy and remus combo but I had a bit of a spending fetish...

Ho hum...

Sometimes it sounds good, other times it just pisses me off
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a peco and it wasnt actually that loud, got a scorpion now, get a nice grunt when you floor it and theres is def more power
    Now has a clio - dont ban me

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a bloke with a tiny pug in my street with two massive exhaust on the back ( could fit my foot into it its so big ) that makes a right racket...

Cant see the point really... I guess its on the same level as plastic attachements from halfords, motorsport sun strips, fuel cap covers and neons...
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this guy prob drives it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    people have different motives for buying an aftermarket exhaust. Some people love the attention and sound a loud exhaust gives them. Each to their own.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think loud exhausts are total cack.
    You also may gain one or two bhp but you LOSE torque.
    Oh dear.
    Ex Golf R32, now mk5 Astra Estate 1.9CDTi (150PS, 232ftlb) Design on fat alloys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IMHO it's all about attention seeking, this could be the same as with the flashing lights, lairy bodykits and crazy loud stereos. In a way there's nothing wrong with it apart from when it gets out of hand and is inflicted on others. I've been there and done that

Also race cars are damn loud and usually damn quick so to people who have no idea they may associate the 2. Infact I can't think of any motorsport vehicle that produces the same volumes as a standard road going car.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The exhaust on my GSI is the main reason the previous owner sold it. He was used to very quiet cars where as the stainless on mine (dont know what make sorry as no stamps or logos on it) is pretty damm loud.
    I am not really into loud exhausts, rather have one that just makes a good sound but mine really does sound different.
    It makes the car sound as if its running big carbs at low revs and on the motorway it just a howling sound that I have heard no other car make, I love it even if my neighbours dont

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Scott
    I'm curious, why do people have loud exhausts on their cars?

I always thought the main purpose of an aftermarket exhaust was to extract as many ponies out of the engine as possible, yes?

The Milltek exhaust on the Astra mk4 Z20LET engines is relatively quiet yet is one of the best for power gains (if not THE best) ... so, if Milltek can make the best performing exhaust quiet, why do people want loud ones?

I'm sure people have exhausts here that are loud so why did you pick it? (I can understand if you have a 1.2 and gaining ponies is not possible so you want to pretend you're fast).

Also, popping and banging, people seem to have a fetish for this, but I was always under the impression that popping and banging was caused by a badly fitted or badly manufactured exhaust? (blowing, leaking etc)

I just cant understand the need for a loud exhaust, IIRC Peco are loud but usually give the worst gains (sometimes worse than OE).
    Because they sound cool!
    I hope you detected the sarcasm there... Loud exhausts drive me up the wall. Only reason Id buy an aftermarket system is to release a few horses...

It annoys the hell outta me when some boyracer in his 1.1 Fiesta buzzes up my ass with his foot to the floor hoping ill race him coz he sounds like a wasp on crack and I got a 1.8 badge on my tailgate...
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast