Thread: Morethan Drivetime

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Morethan Drivetime

Morethan have just launched Drivetime - www.morethandrivetime.com - a service that knocks 40% off their standard quote for under 25s as long as the car isn't driven between 23:00 and 06:00.

They install a GPS thingummy to show when your engine is started and stopped - keep the engine off between those hours and you're saving. Apparently if you're driving at 23:02 then you're breaking the rules but you're still insured - you just pay a £25 charge each time you drive between them hours.

From my POV (age 24) this seems ace - I start work at 08:00 so I'm rarely larking about at 23:00 so I reckon I'll go for it (although their site fell over with all the interest, ha!) depending on their standard quote price. It also means that I can charge the parents next time I am a drunk tank taxi for them - sweet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm. Seems like a good idea for the sensible people, but £25 penalty for going out after 11pm?! lol

Not so great for the night owls however, which IMO is discriminating YET again. So glad I am past the 'young driver' stage of life.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    GPS only works out where the car is so i'll guess it will send all the info over the gsm phone network

With the way insurance is for younger people these days I think it's a good idea but I think limiting the engine size or BHP would be a better thing like they do on bikes as now it's making it more affordable to jump into a gsi
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I could give a 15 year old one piece of advice, it would be to get their CBT when 16, get a moped and insure it even if they never use it. The saving on insurance when they pass their test would be huge. An 18 year old with near 2 years NCB and some driving (or road) experience would slash their insurance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalu
    They install a GPS thingummy to show when your engine is started and stopped
    Big brother is watching you!.

Cant get an online quote tho
    Arden Blue GSi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah their site fell over due to all the interest

I'm not so keen on the idea of bhp limiting - I was originally going to order a 1.6 TwinTop but was told it'd be slug-like so instead went for the 1.8 so I could, y'know, get somewhere. The hike in purchase price is enough without my insurance going up massively too

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think it is a good idea but I dont see how its going to give you a big drop in premium. Most people are home by theat time anyhow, and there are not many people on the road at those times.

I think BHP limitation would be much more effective, however I will do an online quote for a lad that works for me as he will be insuraning a car for the first time soon.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's shit. I drive after 11pm to get to various units that i need to be at for courses etc. So, because I'm on the road at the quietest time of day, i have to pay more on my premuim. Its discrimination. the same as i'm classed as being an unsafe driver because I'm male, 19, and have 3 points for doing 35 in a 30. Pure discrimination, yet again.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree it's not going to work for everyone - until they stop making assumptions we're going to be screwed one way or another

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am willing to bet that an 18 year old with 0 ncb would pay about 300 per year on a 750cc panda or 1.0 3 cylinder corsa, just no self respecting 18 year old would want a car with less power than a junior asprin and 0-60 time set by a calendar, not watch.

Driving has become such an expense now. I was £10 per hour per lesson, £21 for my provisional and £28 for my test. All in, it cost me £109 to pass my test and my first insurance (7 year old fiat uno 1.3 sx) was £750 and that entitled me to drive any car 3rd party!

Its this flipping Labour government we voted in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast