Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sigaret lighter permanent on

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to make the sigaret lighter supply permanent on.
    If I put one of those minifridge thingies in the car, it doesn't work when the car is not running. So it doesn't really help to take the fridge then.
    Also want to hook up a GPS tracking module. As I'm still testing it, I will just put it in the sigaret lighter.

I'd like to put a permanent 12V wire to the boot as well. Any ideas on how to do this. I'm not going to put one of the chunky wires for big ICE installs, just for the fridge (so it can stand in the back), gps unit, once in a while the laptop, you know, small stuff, not over 300W.

Thanks in advance
    Tom

Edit: found a way for the cable in the FAQ already. I'll have a look this weekend.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive just fitted a cig lighter to my boot (to run a fridge too) but kept it on the ignition fed live... a permanent live is just too risky in case u leave it connected. and therefore it will drain your car battery.

If u did want to run a 12v permanent live to the boot then just run a wire (fused 20A) from a spare permanent live position in the fusebox (behind cubby hole below headlight switch) and run the cable along the drivers side sill to the boot.
    As mentione above - I would NOT recommend this in case you leave it connected and therefore drain the battery.

As for the GPS... what is the problem here? Either plug it into the existing lighter socket or 'hardwire' it to an ignition fed position on the fusebox - so again it will not be on permanently. OR wire it in to the existing cigarette lighter and hide the wiring behind the centre console.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I'll start off with the easy one which will be the boot. If all you want to do is add a ciggy lighter adaptor in the boot there is already a wire there thats designed for the tow bar electrics and is controled by a 20 amp fuse in the fusebox inside the car. The wire is red and can be found behind the plastic panel as you look into the boot.

To make the front one permanent live you have a few options open to you. By far the easist if your not a expert with electrics will be to run a new wire from the battery to inside the car remembering to fuse it. As you have already found there is a spare grommet where the throttle cable would be and I assume that everything is swapped around on your car being a left hand drive?. This grommet if there and the fuse box has swapped sides will be behing the cubby hole under the dash
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm used to having a sigaret lighter that is permanent on in our other car. We use the fridge a lot, but we never forgot to turn it off.

The GPS thing needs permanent power anyways. Haven't really looked into it (the car), but just for testing, I want it to be quick. Eventually it will be hidden somewhere.

So is it possible to change the the cable of the sigaret lighter in the fuse box? Is there a relay in the fuse box that swithes it on, so I can just take it out and put it in a spare fuse place?

I really have to take a look at it, it's too late and I'm probably talking bullocks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oops yup - forgot about the trailer connection - didnt mention it cos simply it wouldnt be a sensible option (IMO)
    I'll shutup now and leave it up to u

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the GPS tracking would require a permenant live feed due to if someone were to lift the car onto a trailer or truck you wouldn't be able to track the car.

Isn't there a permenant live feed in the dash for the radio? Could he not hook up to that.

Depending on the size of the module, you'd probably have problems sticking it behind your dash, but many tracking companies attach them to the bulk head of the vehicle.

We have them on our vans ( courier service ).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have a tow bar, so I'll have a look for that cable. That's a lot easier then pulling a new cable

I'll have a look at the fuse box anyway. Is there a big wire that is permanent on that arrives in the fusebox? So I don't have to pull a new cable.

/*Our MOT has a new thing for 'tuners' that have ICE installs. If you run a new wire from the battery, they will say it is for your ICE install; If you don't have one, they will say you removed it for the test. Because you are a 'tuner', you have to pay 30€ extra. */

As I'm not really into paying extra for something I don't have, I'd like to keep the cables comming from the battery like they are now. So if that is possible, I'll do that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MOT's don't usually check for wiring? Well they don't in the UK.

Although if you have a tow bar, they may check the connection to see whether your indicators and lights etc are working when towing.