Thread: My bonnet dilemma....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy My bonnet dilemma....

Ok - can't decide myself so thought I'd start a poll for you guys to help me out.

I ordered a Lumma bonnet a few months ago, and to cut a long story short it has arrived at Courtenay as a probable write off.....i.e. it's going to cost as much to get it fixed as it is to buy a new one.

So - do I replace it with the same - or buy a carbon one (which I will spray Europa)? - what do you think?

Here's a couple of pics of the choice, cost is about the same, unless anyone knows where I can get a carbon one for less than 400 quid.

Lumma/Reiger:

Carbon:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Voted Carbon! (And at the Chance of Annoying the Purists i would see wot it would look like just carbon first! Think it would suit the 888 Stying!)

How do you mean it will prob be a write off! Surley if it Got broke in the Post you can claim!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless the bonnet is completely carbon fibre there is now real weight saving to be had, also the carbon bonnets are a bit of a pain in the arse to get to fit right. I'd do it propely and have a real fully carbon fibre one made up. You know you want to.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_coupe
    Voted Carbon! (And at the Chance of Annoying the Purists i would see wot it would look like just carbon first! Think it would suit the 888 Stying!)

How do you mean it will prob be a write off! Surley if it Got broke in the Post you can claim!
    It's a long story - which I don't want to get into, and I don't care what the purests think! .

I agree though, it would be worth checking out the carbon look if I choose that option!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive yet to see a perfectly fitted carbon one - also saw one on a 888 at pv after i thought about going that route - suits a scooby in blue but just not right on an t8 - incidently with those 2 vents surley water will run down into the whole causing steam?

how about some louvres

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I voted Carbon being the better out of the two options you have given.

Although (and not wishing to cause alarm) I have heard stories (past) of Carbon bonnets not securing properly (due to the vastly lightened weight to that of OE bonnets), would you secure down using the normal bonnet pull method or would you opt for the pins (front / rally'esq) as well ?
    Arden Blue VXR / itg / Full Remus / 259bhp & 262lb ft

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    why does it have to be a bolt on goodie, a custom vent would be the way forward.

To choose between a fibreglass bonnet and a carbon layered bonnet again mounted on fibreglass, really aint the words greatest options

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd give it a try carbon matey... would look good in europa blue.. how about leaving some of the carbon showing? could do some virtual photoshops for possible patterns etc
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    why does it have to be a bolt on goodie, a custom vent would be the way forward.

To choose between a fibreglass bonnet and a carbon layered bonnet again mounted on fibreglass, really aint the words greatest options
    I considered it Brett - but it's very difficult for me to organise from over here.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nah enough people have the lumma/reiger already, but carbon (again try it unsprayed to start with just to see) will look nice and different and sod the 888 purists, you gotta stand out from the crowd sometimes besides, it's an easily removable mod.

Personally I don't see the point in going carbon then hiding it under paint, although jonesey's idea of paint and "reveal" sounds interesting too. Just make sure it's secured well (eg bonnet pins) as I have heard of them flying up and getting destroyed, smashing windcreens, bending panels etc at speed if insufficiently secured!

Kirsty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast