Thread: 1.6 16v tuning.....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6 16v tuning.....

i know alot of people say z20let conversion is the best bet, dont fancy a conversion though.

and the z20let is 200 bhp aint it? and the conversion is like 6 grand.

i can get a turbo done for 3 grand, putting the engine to 210 bhp.....

the car is still new to me, and any sort of tuning, wont be done until atleast the new year.

just wondering peoples opinions.
    L600NYY
    Veccy C pipe, Brock B2's 17 x 8.5, Tints All Round.
    From The Northwest?? >> CLICK!<<

SXi Stu
    is that the regal turbo conversion your quoting?? if so its £3900 and thats without fitting, with fitting its over £4000, Ive seen Z20LET's going on ebay for £1000 ish and theyre alot more tuneable, completely up to you though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    enjoy your car till the new year, and then buy a coupe turbo/gsi... it will save you money, and hassle of having a tuned or conversion engine.

but a 1.6 with 210 bhp would be fun, and very light.
    "Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself"

SXi Stu
    plus I wouldnt be surprised if the insurance is more expensive on a tuned 1.6 turbo than it is on a standard GSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well first off...the ZLET is specially designed for that power output. whereas the 1.6 16v internals certainly aint. so a ZLET will control the power a hell of a lot more.
    a ZLET conversion is defo a better choice than just strapping a turbo onto a 1.6

the 6k figure u quoted is for a so called 'professional' to do the job - ZLETs can be had for 1-2k and u could do the conversion yourself or get someone else to do it (TBH theres a few members on here that would do the work for u - one (who i cant remember) is plannin on settin up his own business doin conversions) so u can defo do a LET conversion for a lot less than 6k....

Its up to u at the end of the day...if u do decide to turbo ur existing motor then Id expect to see major problems unless pretty much every component of the original 1.6 engine had been modified to cope with the extra stress of the increased power output.

SXi Stu
    One thing I will say for the DBILAS turbo conversion for the 1.6 is that it is very progressive in the boost department, i.e. 1psi at 1000rpm, 6 psi at 6000rpm, so it will be reasonably gentle on the engine (within reason, I do agree with you Geordie that long term it aint gonna be the best for it)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what sort of things would you need to upgrade in the engine if you are thinking of strapping a turbo to a 1.6 as its something i was thinking about doing.

**sorry for the mini hijack**

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not a clue to be honest mate. just researchin things at the moment.
    L600NYY
    Veccy C pipe, Brock B2's 17 x 8.5, Tints All Round.
    From The Northwest?? >> CLICK!<<