Thread: Any Passat Gen?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any Passat Gen?

Been offered a 98R Passat 1.8 20v S - 114k for decent money. It's the other halfs brother in laws and it's been in the family for most of it's life so it should be a pretty straight car. Going to go over and have a look at it, just wondering if there was anything in particular I should check on these? I imagine they are pretty reliable being VW but I don't know much about them. Seems a good car for the money, looks good in black too - just wants some decent alloys.

My only beef is that I can't put my private plate on it as it's just shy of being an S plate but I don't want that to stop me buying it if it's a good car.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drive a 2004 1.8 Turbo at work. VERY nice car to drive and plenty of pull on it. The only trouble I've had with it was when someone reversed into it in the compound's car park lol. Bit of a shame with the plate mate, but if the car's in good nick, then I'd go for it
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I had a 2.5 v6tdi as a company good cars the only probs it ever had was it would eat AFM's like the astra z20lets
    i would say go for it mate stick a nice set of wheels on it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if im thinking right, these have the same Audi 1.8 20v lump. My brother inlaw's got a N-reg A4 with 150k, the engine has never missed a beat, and starts on the first click.
    "Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if it has climate control make sure it works properly as they do have a habbit of failing and are mega expensive to put right (climate control not the car i mean)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my uncle has a 1.8 20v SE Auto.... problem is that his cam belt snapped early so make sure you check all that kinda stuff out. also he rekons that the engine is too small for the car - passats are darn heavy... also the rear springs are very soft.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    My bosses wife has a 1.8L M reg passat. They have a common fault with the suspension. I haven't got any more details on it other than its costing him over £400 per corner. Which is the reason he's only done 2.
    My boss has a serious boost problem as well as he can only manage 70mph on a 10 mile straight stretch. VW have plugged in their diags and all comes back as perfect. I recon its the AFM but the VW engineer says he don't know.

Thats all I know. Apart from that they look pretty good and seem to go quite nicely when they work.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    Pipsqueak
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam
    My bosses wife has a 1.8L M reg passat. They have a common fault with the suspension. I haven't got any more details on it other than its costing him over £400 per corner. Which is the reason he's only done 2.
    My boss has a serious boost problem as well as he can only manage 70mph on a 10 mile straight stretch. VW have plugged in their diags and all comes back as perfect. I recon its the AFM but the VW engineer says he don't know.

Thats all I know. Apart from that they look pretty good and seem to go quite nicely when they work.

jam
    My dad has a R-reg passat TDi sport (110bhp) brilliant car up to yet and we have had it 2 years(61k on the clock!), it had a recall like all the other passats made from around that date due to a suspension fault - all the fault was the front right hand or left springs snapping at the end at the bottom of the spring. So they had new springs made and the problem was cured.

Not really much other common occurances with the passat other than the springs. Cambelt at 60k for them too, drive brilliant and loaded with all the extras on the good modles and there not fetching much too. Dad's has full leather, climate control and cd changed ect ect and all the extra electronis goodies - It would only fetch between £2500 and £3200 now - lot of car for the money!

Same interior as my dads - bob on if you ask me
    I dont own a vauxhall, i own another vw