Thread: Weird dash lighting problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Weird dash lighting problem

Got in the car tonight, and the clock etc were lit.
    Stuck the sidelifghts on and it went black.
    Tried mainbeam and still nothing.
    Whacked the brightness upto full and they worked fine, but you can tell there is a brightness difference between lights on and lights off in terms of the clock.

Any reason for this to happen?
    Any idea how to fix it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i understand you right i think its supposed to do that mine does it too

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It never used to though.

Last night i got out of the car everything fine, tonight got in the car and unless brightness is on full, you cant read the clock or see the lights behind the speedometer etc.

I dont think thats correct

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are u on about the MFD (Multi Function Display) centre of dash? If so then the display always self dims as soon as u switch on the lights. Obviously by adjusting the instrument lighting output this affects the brightness of the display but if its the actual dimming u are on about then yes thats perfectly normal

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dimming I can understand, its more the fact that unless its now set on max brightness, its black.
    It used to be 50% setting and still be bright enough to see.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well considering u can still see the display albeit not as good as usual then the likely culprit will be a blown bulb. Theres 2 in total and more common than not the 2nd one blows around the same time if not at the same time.

Cheap to replace (about 70p from Vx - or about 50p or so from local motor factor) DO NOT go to halfrauds! they charge £2.99 for 1 bulb!!!

A lot of ppl upgrade to LEDs but its totally upto u - might be best off just getting a couple of normal bulbs (have a few spare just in case) and change the faulty bulb in question.

Do u have a Haynes or do u need help on how to change the bulb? (only asking cos u have to remove the centre console) will take about 10mins tops (once stereo removed)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit
    well considering u can still see the display albeit not as good as usual then the likely culprit will be a blown bulb. Theres 2 in total and more common than not the 2nd one blows around the same time if not at the same time.

Cheap to replace (about 70p from Vx - or about 50p or so from local motor factor) DO NOT go to halfrauds! they charge £2.99 for 1 bulb!!!

A lot of ppl upgrade to LEDs but its totally upto u - might be best off just getting a couple of normal bulbs (have a few spare just in case) and change the faulty bulb in question.

Do u have a Haynes or do u need help on how to change the bulb? (only asking cos u have to remove the centre console) will take about 10mins tops (once stereo removed)
    I did wonder if that was the case, i dont have a haynes so I would need a manual and what type bulb to get

Is it hard work to put LEDs in? Much benefit?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fitting LEDs is no harder than normal filament bulbs - u get the twist fit LEDs so u dont have to make ur own or bother with soldering and shite like that. You can get em from ebay or there's a member on here "Kirsty" that sells em - more expensive than ebay but from what I hear from other users they are top notch and the brightness I believe is phenomonal. I personally have blue LEDs in the MFD and nothing else cos the clocks (speedo etc) dont always take too kindly to the output from LEDs.

You'd be best off doing a search on here (top right) and enter LED, bulbs or similar and you'll get a host of info and pics of them fitted.

If u just get normal bulbs or LEDs - the principle is the same - First remove stereo (make sure u have keycode if original Vx one for when u reconnect!) remove ashtray, and lower cubby hole - remove all torx screws.....etc etc etc... Im sure I posted the info on a previous thread so I'll try and dig it out.

I'll stop rabbiting on for now and leave it upto u. I'll get some info posted on how to change the bulbs.

EDIT: Just realised u have an '02 car. Vx changed the internals on the MFD and mileage display around 2000 and fitted orange diffusers to the displays...Basically to cut a long story short...if u wanna go and fit coloured LEDs they will probably not work as they should - ie fit blue LEDs and the output might be a bad greeny colour.....Pre '02 models have a clear diffuser and no problems with coloured LEDs.

Sorry for no doubt confusing u by all of this - maybe be best off just getting a new 70p bulb and changing it and be done with it.