Thread: Which suspension

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which suspension

As above, i know nothing about suspension and without breaking the bank need to buy some. I was thinking of coilovers because there adjustable but i dont know who makes decent one's and who dosent.

Or am i wasting my money on a cheap set of coilovers, just stick with some eibach shocks and springs. the car was a 1.6 sxi, its now a 2.0 turb's if that makes any difference.

Any help would be great, thanks matt

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Koni`s mate, I had `em on mine, faultless
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've never heard anythin bad about Koni's
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...iewmyastra.jpg
    Back on standard alloys for now....ICE installed

Any guys from Oxford area give me shout!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    konis or h&r have been the ones I have or been in and there flawless excellent handling no messing at all

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to DRIVE your car, the Eibachs, Billie dampers and rear ARB is the way to go.

If you want the slammed look but can't navigate a road with a bump on it then coilovers is probably he way to go.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Im sorry but a good quality coilover kit makes a car far more drivable than a uprated shocks and spring set up, because you have coilovers its doesnt mean it has to be on its lowest setting, they are designed to tailor the suspension for its optimum unlike shocks and spring set up is set for the majority of people and have little or no adjustment to them. and a arb can be fitted to a coilover setup aswell to further enhance it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pete

After reading the entire thread about your car last night, ive come to the decision that you know what your talking about lol. I noticed somewhere you were using GAZ coilovers at the back. I found this on ebay, is it any good. Or just stick to some new koni's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra...QQcmdZViewItem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely go for the rear anti-roll bar. A huge leap in handling performance. As for uprated springs and gas dampers vs coilovers, well I have never driven with the coilovers, but I am perfectly happy with the 40mm springs and gas dampers. I can't see how much better the handling could get for the extra money. Cost me around £340, no fitting as I did it myself with a mate, and what do coilovers cost? £500? £600?
    Also, my insurance company wasn't bothered about the suspension mod so long as it wasn't a coilover set-up! Maybe check with them before you decide.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rear anti-roll bar. I know what one is and its on the front lol. What do you mean exaclty adding a rear anti-roll bar does this change the set-up at the back, from standard springs and seperate dampers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I read that adding a rear ARB increases the front end grip and it certainly does. Stiffen the front ARB and it will increase grip at the rear, apparently.
    I am no expert, but I imagine that as you go into a corner the body rolls and put weight onto the outside wheel. The inside wheel wants to lift as there is less weight on it, only now with the rear ARB both wheels are connected. The weight pushing down on the outside wheel is also pushing down on the inside wheel and so overall grip/traction is increased as both tyres are working more effectively. I don't know if that is totally correct, but it seems to make sense to me.