Thread: Rocker cover to oil catch tank, Should you return it to the airbox or vent?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

Rocker cover to oil catch tank, Should you return it to the airbox or vent?

I have heard different answers to this but nothing conclusive, have been told that its fine to just have the vent in the rocker cover come away and get vented into the air but have also been told that its better to have it put back into the airbox as its part of the vacuum system, as my mate in work showed me on his Evo 6 today, which is shexy as ****. All this via an oil catch tank obviously.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    been doing some reading and it seems that it needs to be connected to the airbox for the vacuum, Also seen these other forums pages where they have guys running dual catch tanks, one from the airbox to the rocker cover, then from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold with the PCV valve in between.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=200793

A dual catch tank built together to save room.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/DC3_page.htm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Would it not be better to route the breather into the pipe after the AFM?

I would assume the oil would either foul the air filter or the AFM itself? Even with a catch tank, surely it would still get sucked/blown into the wrong places?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Nearly finished reading the jap forum page. It seems the best system is a dual can setup, this is what im now going to fit over the next 3 weeks hopefully whilst im on leave. One catch tanks sits in between the air box and the rocker cover, the main problem being is that the tank needs to be baffled to allow the oil to condense fully, therefore stoping the oil getting into the intake and damaging the AFM and lining the intercooler etc. Most Oil catch tanks it seems don't even come baffled so you need to do a mod to ensure that the oil condenses properly. An example of that is here....

http://vamp.darkravers.net/TipsGreddyOilCatchCan.cfm

Again if the catch tank i have ordered is not baffled then this is what i will do. The second tank runs fromt he rocker cover to the catch tanks then through a pcv valve and into the inlet manifold. This stops oil from getting into inlet manifold obviously.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    There shouldnt be a need for an oil catch tank but I am fitting one to my engine bay as a precaution.

It is going inline of the bigger pipe from the rocker cover to the cross over pipe (Or to the air filter as in mine)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Your car will run without it, but im sure you don't want to have oil in your system where its not meant to be. Im going to run the dual tank system, won't notice any power increase or anything but it should help longevitity etc. I should have said that i have the 2.2 mod, hence why i've been looking into this. My first catch tank will between the airbox and the rocker cover, then the second will be from the cocker through the PCV valve and into the inlet manifold.