Thread: Where did the water go?!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Where did the water go?!

Hello, have'nt posted for a while but now I'm really needing some help!!

Noticed the other day that my temp gauge (1.7 tdi envoy van) was higher than normal (about half way up) and kept quickly going up and down between the quarter and halfway marks and that I could'nt get the fan in the cab to blow cold.

Anyway I had a look under the bonnet the next morning and found that almost all the water had gone from the header tank, so I filled it back up and went for a test run, but had to come back when it started screeching constantly.

At this point I remembered that about a week ago I noticed I could smell something getting very hot, but did'nt notice the temp gauge going up more that half way.

I've no experience with cooling systems at all and don't know where to start.

regards
    -Dex
    Bass: More = Better
    www.talkaudio.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats the water level like after a spin? Notice anything coming out the exhaust? Take the oil cap off and have a look at its underside, anything there? Is the oil clean on the dipstick? Also dyou notice any puddles under the car, or steaming\spitting\hissing when the engines running or immediately after you turn it off? Definitely check for water leaks tho...
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.7DTi losing water will be either head gasket or water pump. Either way it's not going to be a cheap fix.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Probably the water pump mate.... get it looked at ASAP other wise you might over heat and cease the engine.... trust me, i'm talking from experience!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replys, very gratefull,

Ok, went for a short ride to the local shop and back, temp stayed at less then a quarter for about the first 5 mins then went up quickly to nearly halfway, it then fluctuated between there and the quarter mark as before, it lost no water at all, can't see anything unusual under the oil cap or on the dipstick or at the exhaust nor can I see/hear/smell anything leaking from anywhere else.
    BTW it's still screeching like a mofo, is it worth changing the thermostat or just going straight for the pump/cambelt?
    Bass: More = Better
    www.talkaudio.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its normal for the temp to go to 90 matey, mine tends to hover between 80 and 90 (Though I am having water loss probs but thats another story )
    When is the belt due to be changed, or when was it last changed? The stat is cheap enough to buy yourself and easy enough to DIY so long as you own a Haynes , though if it were the stat it would normally either stick open or shut, thus the needle will either not move at all or will tell you its overheating...
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS