Thread: I've joined the Astra gang!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've joined the Astra gang!

Well, due to me being in the process of buying a house I've sold my M3 and bought another Vauxhall, something that will be a touch cheaper to run!

After much deliberation and test driving a very dull Vectra TDI I decided that I could afford something thats still slightly interesting.
    I opted for a Astra g sport. I wanted a 3 door but they seem quite rare at reasonable prices / miles. I found one on ebay that was some 320 miles away, the seller agreed to meet me at Derby station so off I went at 6.25 yesterday morning with my £22 train ticket, met him there, luckily it was just as described and home I came. Its nippy enough, very nice to drive and certainly uses less fuel that the M3!

Its a fair way to travel but for £50 traveling cost and a days holiday from work its worth it to get the right car at the right price.

Its an S reg, 1.8 16v, 54k miles, air con AND sunroof, steering wheel stereo controls, lowered with a scorpion exhaust, also had a mint set of 17" OZ Hyrda's with it, that are now incidently for sale. Once they're sold I'll have got the car for what I think is a very fair price. Only thing it didn't have that I wanted was cruise control, so I want to fit that again. Anyone have any engine bay pictures of the original CC in situ? Will the loom be present?

Is there anything in particular that goes wrong with these? Any preventitive maintance to do? Where do they tend to rust?
    Its just had a cam belt change and I'll give it a full service this week.

I'm after a rear spoiler now if anyone knows of one, pref genuine and in silver!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very nice mate - is that a magnex back box. those wheels same as i had on my ls and served me well. they are getting rare in un-modified form. If your on a budget cheep mods can be colour code handles and bump strips and a subtle spoiler

if you do get a spoiler tho you will need to uprate the boot struts or buy a hard hat

by the way welcome to Astra Sport

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks.

Its a Scorpion system.

Yeah, Im after a standard spoiler. I had the same problem with the tailgate struts on my old calibra - very annoying!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello and welcome

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site mate
    Very nice car.........I've got one too
    Im afraid as you have bought a sport, you will have the older engine in it which has a cable throttle which can not be fitted with cruise control.
    However on a more positive note, I have the spoiler that you want going up for sale very soon and its in the colour that you want so if you want one give me a PM

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Addzyboy, actually you can fit Cruise Control to the old engines - you need to change the throttle body for one off a Vectra B with cruise control. Then you'll need all the other usual bits (brake switch, clutch switch, stalk).

It's doable, but quite difficult compared to more modern Gs.

Miles16v, nice choice. The old 1.8 is only 113hp by the book, but over here in N. Ireland Region we've seen 135hp out of a X18XE1 with exhaust and decat etc.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I know fitting cruise control is doable as I fitted it to my cable throttle Calibra turbo. I assume its the same fitting to that, need to fit the motor from a Vectra/Omega, the stalk and switch and a new wiring loom / made.

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard mate
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to a/s miles have fun
    18/16v mk 4 astra saloon bmc cda a Ffoeg special veccy pipe full catback system full entainment system 17inches lowered 40mm all round

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks.

It needs 4 new tyres, front and rear disks and a service but its still good, and that little lot will probably come out of the money I get for the 17s.

I fitted a total closure module last night that I got from ebay. Easy to fit and is a nice little addition.