Thread: Bit of a random thought about a new ecu. Experts needed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bit of a random thought about a new ecu. Experts needed

Right. Anyone following my thread about my car will see my point here.

Have been told that I might need a new ecu due to the boost pressure out of range. Found one on ebay for a decent price so I was thinking.....

Would it be possible to program the new ecu for my car, then if the ecu is not the problem, take the new one out and replace with the old one, send the new one off to someone like Wilko (possibly...) to get remapped then get it back and reinstall it in the car?

Bsically, is it possible to have 2 ecu programmed for the car at the same time? And would there be any possible problems arising from this?

All theoretically of course.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that you can have two ecu's programmed for the same car and swap them over if you want to - your new ecu needs to blank though so that it can accept the re-programme of the immoboliser codes etc. I'm sure Mark at Courtenay has two ecu's for his vx that he swaps over. Whether Wilko can bench programme or not though is one for Wilko, I know that Regal do bench programming of ecu's but Courtnenay won't.

I haven't been following the thread - but are you sure you need a new ecu for a 'boost out of range' code? This would normally be a sensor fault (BCS or AFM/MAP) rather than an ecu fault?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am not sure at all. Apparently they have tried swapping the sensor on the turbo and it made no difference. Thet have not yet tried a new sensor though, just the one that was on the new turbo and the one from the original.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think you can send your ecu to wilko think he charges an extra fiver for postage and he programs it i dont know how he would do a custom map cus he wont know your car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought they were just std maps he had as well as custom?

Been speaking to him anyway and he said that its not a problem to do.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Boost out of range message would come from the map sensor, the boost controller solonoid just controls the boost on the turbo - basically told what to do via the ecu.
    Z20LET Hybrid Vectra Running 347BHP / 386Lb/Ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    I am not sure at all. Apparently they have tried swapping the sensor on the turbo and it made no difference. Thet have not yet tried a new sensor though, just the one that was on the new turbo and the one from the original.
    There are two boost control solenoids - one on the turbo and one at the back of the block - trace the vacuum pipe from the OE DV right around until you find it - but I doubt it is one of these. MAP sensor is the one on the top of the intercooler, try changing this. MAF sensor is the air flow sensor after the air box and before the crossover. I'd try swapping this too with another ZLET owner....although either of these two will cost you around a hundred squid to change....cheaper than a new ecu though.

Has the car been tech2'd?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that 2nd boost control solenoid, is that the 1 at the bottom of the intake manifold? it looks like the black box on the top of the veccy 2.6L that runs to the variable manifold.
    and the vac line runs to the bov, if so i bypassed it already cause it was dumping the bov all the time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can have as many ECUs for your car as you like, but if you bay a 2nd hand one make sure the imobaliser code has been reset before it was taken from it's original car. You can program and ECU toany car if it's imobilser code is blank, but if it's programmed it can only be changed if it's in the correct car.

Remapping an ECU does not affect the imb code
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can reprogram the ECU if you have the Car pass Security code for the car it came from.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast