Thread: Astra GSI: a question of love or hate?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra GSI: a question of love or hate?

Hello one and all. As a prospective owner of an Astra GSI [2003 model] I have one simple question. Are they reliable? I'm coming from a Honda civic VTI, and in 8 years of ownership not one thing has gone wrong. I'm taken by the top end pull of the GSI and its motorway refinement, but after having read quite a few threads on here, I've been put off. I don't realy want to pump 9K into a dodgy motor. I was wondering if people only tend to post when they have problems, hence skewing the impressions I'm getting of the car. I really would like to buy this car....feel free to comment.

Status
    South West RO
    was Shane_SRI
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    People generally do only post when they have problems. Threads that just said "everything is running fine at the moment" would be pretty pointless. Maybe something you didn't notice from reading those threads, is when people do run into problems, how easy the problems usually are to get fixed.

I've had my GSi for about 9 months now and not had any trouble with it at all. I took a bit of a pludge buying it but it was the best decision I ever made. I love the car and won't be changing it for the forseeable future.

Many people that have previously owned one and sold it, crave to have one again. If it was a car that was prone to problems i'm sure you would see a lot more being sold. When infact, it isn't very easy to get one, there are very few being sold even though the VXR has been released.
    Defend Freedom. You are the resistance!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not got a Gsi (yet ) but I'd agree with Shane. People only post with problems as a rule. The most common problem seems to be the Air Mass Meter, these seems to go but I think it's related to the fact that people on here tend to tune the airflow, K&Ns etc, also a few problems with turbo actuators but again seems to be isolated to those having CS2 or similar. Standard they don't seem to be a problem, I've not heard of one blowing up yet, isolated electrical problems but that's a failing on most modern cars as they get more complicated.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a coupe turbo and wouldnt sell it. Ever. The whole experience of owning/driving is amazing.

Lots of power, lots of low down torque and top end pull tht would choke a donkey.

Its just turned 5 years old and sailed its 2nd MOT.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a have a gsi and it being my first turbo car wasnt clued up much but only problem a had was the emissons light which got sorted by vaux on warenty and nothing else has went wrong with it in my year of owing it once u get one u wil be hooked as they are great cars.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is no reason why a good, well looked after GSI won't give you years of trouble free motoring.

It's worth pointing out though, that a lot of people on here modify their cars (me included), so this puts extra stress on components and asks sensors etc to work beyond their designed limits....which is why they fail, and then posts made on here. I bought a coupe turbo (now an 888 ), because they represent good value for money for the power that they put out, and they are (usually) cheap to maintain.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. Warmly appreciated....