Thread: Astra TwinTop Diary

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra TwinTop Diary

Not quite sure which section to put this in so let me know if I need to change!

After really enjoying reading the diary of a fella building a game store, I thought I'd write a diary of what happens in the upcoming weeks until I get my TwinTop. I promise to only post in this if it's something interesting and TwinTop related!

Here we go...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    T minus 8 weeks and counting

Day 1

Went for second test drive with my dad - also discovered the existance of the VW Eos on the same day so, before the TwinTop test drive, went to take a look. Nice car but interior was a bit dated. Not my thing really. Also I'm quite tall (6'2) and there is no room for anyone behind me. The boot is tiny with the roof down - not good for showing off after shopping.

I head back to the Astra and discover that nobody can sit behind me in this car either, however I could always shove someone in the boot. It's that big.

I plump for the Astra and offer my meagre Punto as part ex. Happy with the deal so go home and immediately set a TT as my background, register on just about every forum I can see and proceed to bore everyone with just how great the car is.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    T minus 8 weeks and counting

Day 2

My dad asked if he can have my radio. It's an MP3 CD player (as is his) although mine has a 3.5mm aux port so I can whack my phone in and have an impromptu speakerphone in the car. Yes, says I, and out we go to do the switch.

Mine comes out (relatively) easily and installs in my dad's car just fine. Meanwhile we discover his, a Goodmans, has a stupidly long cable attachment that plugs into the standard white/black plugs. This means it won't fit properly in my Punto and I end up going to work with around an inch of protrusion.

I get home and decide the best thing to do is use elastic bands to turn the ten or so long wires into a thick cable and then shove it as far back as I can. I do this and magically the radio fits in.

It just won't work - for some reason it's not switching on. It's dead, it's an ex-radio, it's pushing up the daises. I check the fuses in the radio and they are fine and the other things that are (I presume) hooked up to the same loom too, i.e. lights, dashboard indicators etc.

I'm now terrified I've done something vicious to the loom and have visions of having to take the car to Fiat's to be pulled apart and fixed for vast amounts of money. My dad is taking the stereo to a store tomorrow to get it checked and make sure that isn't at fault. Hopefully it will be and I can get a cheap MP3 playing stereo to whack in it's place. I'll let you know...

I also booked finance (not insurance) today. £400 a month, £100 more than my Punto, although significantly longer. Hopefully this will come through and I can get the insurance sorted soon.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you checked all the connections? made sure not cut the loom?however i think on puntos you need to wire the live and ignition into permanent live as the punto doesnt have a ignition. try swapping obver the red and yellow wires (should be on bullet connectors), just means you will have to manually turn off the radio or remove face everytime park car.
    Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only thing I noticed is that one of the wires going from radio to car, listed as 'auto aerial' on the radio, is broken. I tried pressing the two ends together and got nothing.

Not sure what you mean about bullet connectors? I have 1 black and 1 white plug from the loom and 1 combined plug on the radio - there is a red and an orange wire which come apart in the middle and have fuses, that what you mean? I tried plugging the orange into the red (the red is ignition) but it didn't do anything either.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its hard to explain pics would be good then im sure i can help but otherwise its hard!!

bullet connectors are a type of connector that look like bullets and put to fit with male and female ends.

bascially most cars have 2 live power cables.

an ignition live (which is only on when the ignition barrel has been turned)
    and a permanent live which is on all the time which keeps power to your radio/clock etc to make sure they keep their memory

on punto they dont have the ignition iirc so you need to wire both the permanent and ignition wires into the permanent live from your car.

but put pics of the wires up and ill check
    Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalu
    I also booked insurance today. £400 a month, £100 more than my Punto, although significantly longer. Hopefully this will come through and I can get the finance sorted soon.
    £400 a month for insurance? That is for a year i guess not a month?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aha - yes I have two of them from the radio side, an orange and a red. The orange is permanent and the red, which has two connections, is ignition.

I tried whacking the orange into the red too but that didn't do anything either. Both of these connectors are on the radio side of the car as opposed to the loom side with it's black and white plugs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    400 pounds a month insurance!!!!!!!!!!

Now wonder when i was young i drove an 1100 lol
    Bungee Jumping

Suicide for indecisive people.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle247
    £400 a month for insurance? That is for a year i guess not a month?
    Er whoops! Meant finance. Insurance is £1100 for the first year but hopefully will go down next as I'll be 25.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast