Thread: Idle control valve?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Idle control valve?

i took my mk4 1998 S reg astra sport (X18XE1) to vauxhall for diagnostics, it came bk saying that it needed a new idle control valve/throttle body, i got a used one which was all tested etc working perfectly put it on and had the codes cleared, but the cars still isnt working, has anyone come across this problem before or know how to fix it??

also when full beam IS TURNED ON and turn it off sometimes the full beams get stuck on, anyone know nhow to fix this aswell, cheers guys!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could try this mate both worked for me on my GTE 16v when I had it.

I took of the valve and blasted it with carb cleaner until it was as shiny as an incredibly shiny thing. Mine got coked up with carbon deposits and the car decided to rev itself randomly at traffic lights and drive itself like night rider.

Also the beam think may just be the arm, again I replaced mine and all ok. Dead easy to fit just unscrew the bottom half of the bit under the steering colum (plastic) and they just unclip and slide out.

Let me know if this works mate.

L.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as above - give the TB and/or ICV & EGR if u have them fitted a good old blast with carb cleaner.

as for the main beam - this is a common vx problem - replace the stalk and it should be sorted - beware though mk4 astras use a different stalk to that of other models so dont be fooled into thinking a vectra/astra mk3 one fits even though a seller may indicate so! I paid about £20 new from Vx - in my case it did the trick.........well for about a week then i changed the relay for a cost of a couple of quid (part # 24432680 - previously 90229206) and its been perfect ever since... so best off getting a new relay before forking out for a new stalk.

PS. Fit the relay in the Main Beam position in the drivers compartment fusebox (behind cubby hole under light switch)

Good luck and keep us posted on how u get on

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

idle valve

ok cheers for the feedback, only problem is the idle valve on mine is a sealed unit integrated on the throttle body, ive replaced the throttle body/idle valve with a new one which was tested on another astra b4 fitting, i called the aa n had the codes cleared but it jus came bk with the codes again for the idle control valve and the engine light came on shutting the engine down????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any idea what codes were kicked up? just in case it wasnt actually for the ICV - u never know!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres the diagnostics results from vx, P0505 idle air control voltage high, carried out checking procedures, throttle body cleaned, new throttle valve positioner required 90543949 £200

ps cheers for advice on full beam, great help!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I might be too late here.... you may have already paid up for positioner, but if you haven't then find a chap with the kind of diagnostic equipment that can also push instructions through the ECU to certain engine components. One of these will be to drive the Stepper Motor on the back of the Throttle body. Stick your head under the bonnet and listen for that motor driving..... No sound?? Worst case, ECU is knackered. Open circuit within the ECU itself with give you the fault code you have. You've got the same year and model as mine and it's becoming a common fault.

My ECU was a Boshe I think, will try and dig out the part number, but they appear to be dropping like flies recently. The solder fractures within the ECU and the connection fails. Sometimes its on the pins themselves, they can crack too.

It took someone ripping me off for a new TB before I found that out. Nothing wrong with the old one, just no input from the ECU. Find a dedicated motor electrician if you can.

NOT the best news, I know, and it might not be that at all, but better that you spend the £550 quid (and that's a bargain by the way) on a new ECU than spend £200 on something else and hen still have to fork out for the ECU.

Best of luck.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

got the astra back, after vauxhall messing around with it for 3 n half weeks, had new ecu n idle valve £800, an hour after i got it bk my mate nicked my car thinkin it was funny n put it straight through my neighbours wall, new radiator needed n bumper, anyone know how to do rad, tip etc , cheers,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to hear about that buddy. but TBH if any so called mate of mine did that to my car I'd have them done for TWOC'ing - see if he finds that funny! I'm being serious! Get that little f.ucker to pay for the damage

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh true but aslong as cars done very soon i dnt care, its up to the neighbours, if he dont get wall fixed then they can call the old bill, which would leave us all up shitstreet!