Thread: 6 Questions: MFD Triple Display Units

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile 6 Questions: MFD Triple Display Units

Q1) On a Mk4 Astra, How many extra sensors through out the car are required to use the full functions on the triple info display?

Q2) If i bought the triple info lcd display with wiring connector and stalk, how much wiring would need to be done to get this running right?

Q3) On average what would you rate the difficulty of installation, for the Average person whos never attempted such a thing?

Q4) What would you estimate the time of the average person whos never attempted such a thing?

Q5) Would a installation of this unit require soldering skillz and the cutting of the original factory wiring..and is this wise?

Q6) Would the cost of the extra sensors and time and effort it takes to install work out to be worth while even bothering to entertain the whole installation idea for what im going to get out of it? lol

Oh And A Bonus Question!

Q7) Do i really ask to many questions about questions regarding questions?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The only real way to get it working correctly as factory would be to replace the engine and dash wiring loom. The MFD uses a totally different wiring connector so would need that plug cut off another car at least.

Other checks that the MFD runs are oil level, coolant level, washer fluid level, brake pad sensors and it also checks the main bulbs on the vechicle

You know your own skills, try picking up a haynes manual and following the wiring diagrams for it to understand how it wires in then maybe you will see how hard it is

Someone has wired one up so it just does the fuel consumption, hopefully you can be pointed towards that as I can't remember who it was
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    impossible but i bet the man above could do it, you'd need the interior wiring loom, plus engine loom and all the things the extra sensors bolt into
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Considering the above replies....one question on my mind is
    WHY do u wanna do it? IMHO the fuel consumption read out would be good but the others I dont really see the point - any responsible owner would manually check the fluid levels/bulbs routinely anyway so I dont see the need for mechanical intervention.
    Good luck anyway whatever u decide and keep us posted on the situation

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile I Agree..

Geordiebandit - I have to say i think i agree with you, if its all that effort id say its more of a nice to have rarther than an essential.
    I cant see the point in a mod that isnt giving me something of use or value, not when it means so much effort!

Personally to date for myself, i have to say the best value for money mod for me has been the cruise control and total closure. Both very simple yet very useful and effective...more so the total closure for me though!
    Although the cruise control is also very effective when them certain got nothing better to do police are tailing you for no apparent reason, or on open roads with hidden speed cameras.

Thanks for your opinions chaps.