Status
    Ex 'sri2000'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Astra MK4 Modifications...

All

I have an x-reg Astra 1.8 SRI and have done the usual custom S/S exhaust and larger air intake and filter, but still want more... so I have been speaking to Courtney Sport who say they can do a remap and cams for £1000 all in.

I just wondered if anyone else has done this on theirs? Could anyone offer any advise? Other mods?

SRI2000

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have they stated a bhp gain for these mods?
    Astra Sxi 1.6 X-reg 3dr in polar sea blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to the forum SRi2000,

What you are describing is called the CS2 upgrade includes CS1 (Remap, airbox mods and sports filter (up to 20BHP), check out this months Total Vauxhall or go to Courtenay's web site for details of each CS phase for your vehicle
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    Ex 'sri2000'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Courtney vs Regal

Well, I've spoken to both courtney sport and regal autosport and the gut feeling is that the boys at courtney are very professional giving quality sound advise.

Regal on the other hand quote figures from their web site like they've only just seen them. If you read other mods their figures do contradict each other in areas.

Courtney said that they use and offer the same sort of products and their figures are very conservative (hence, they have higher expectations).

As i'm looking to spend alot of money for the job, I respect courtneys honesty.

Guys, hav a look on boths web site and view your thoughts!

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/default.asp
    http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

SRI2000

Status
    Ex 'sri2000'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

By the way MarkC your astra looks really good mate. Have you done any engine mods?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cs2 from courtenay is claimed 20bhp. Cam's can make the car a bad starter on cold mornings. I would go for 4 branch manifold with remap you will see some good power gains, the exhaust tone will be much deeper and sound more throaty
    If you do go for cams make sure you get fast road ones as track day ones will make it real uncomfortable to drive in traffic at low revs
    Flame red GSi Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the nice comment...... I haven't done any engine mods apart from the usual filter iridium plugs and Magnecor leads (Mine is a 2.0 X20XEV SRi BTW). Plan on getting a Lexamul manifold for her and maybe then think about cams, but as with everything the pennies limit what I can do
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    Ex 'sri2000'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Thanks for the advise.

I think that i'll look at regal for a lexmaull manifold and chip. I'll see what the recommend and try and get it done shortly. I'll post the rolling road results along with mods for others to use.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaN-TaN
    cs2 from courtenay is claimed 20bhp. Cam's can make the car a bad starter on cold mornings. I would go for 4 branch manifold with remap you will see some good power gains, the exhaust tone will be much deeper and sound more throaty
    If you do go for cams make sure you get fast road ones as track day ones will make it real uncomfortable to drive in traffic at low revs
    Your credentials for the above advice are?

I suspect that the cams they are offering would not make the car a "bad starter on cold mornings".

Your advice concenring the 4 branch manifold is incomplete. Are you suggesting a 4-2-1 or a 4-1 manifold as both have very different properties and their application on a road car differs greatly. As for the noise it makes, I fail to see how this relates to performance gains in any way?

The best advice is to follow your instincts given that you have spoken to both tuners and to take with a pinch of salt peoples comments as they are sometimes motivated by other means.

The tunning options on the N/A engine are limited in terms of extra power/toruque across the whole rev range, so make sure you understand what you are buying rather than listening to top end sales figures.

For £1000 I'd do the following:
    * Air filter and air box mods
    * Miltek exhaust system
    * Cams
    * Remap

Get the basics right and then look at other things, the engines breathing in and out plus fueling need to be correct to get the most from it.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My advice is save your money when it comes to plugs, buy standard ones and get the car mapped.
    We dont fit cams here but have seen decent results from them.