Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

z20let tuning, airfilter, exhausts, hoses etc

Hi guys,

Was just wondering about Z2OLET tuning, is there anyother online shops that sell parts apart from courtenay sport or regal?

I think the 1st thing im going to do is upgrade the air filter and pipe work, what seems to be the best set up for 2.0 coupe turbo to gain the most bhp? i've heard something about the 2.2 air box and vectra c intake pipe but not to sure what this is about. or do i go for a performance pannel filter and dbilas 130mm intake pipe, or 50% bigger than standard pipes, or dbilas flowmaster with k&n pannel but its £233 is it realy worth it?

2nd thing is to get a dump valve and a silicone hose kit with a power pipe, what seems to be the best DV for the z20, dont want anything that sounds stupid, just a nice tcshhhhh. I've seen theres two silicone hose kits avalible, a courtenay sport one and the regal one, what seems to be the best one? and will i be better off with a metal power pipe than a silicone one or wont there be a differance?

3rd thing i would like to get is a full s/steel exhaust system, cat-back, pre-cat and sports cat, from what i've seen milltek seem to be the most popular but is it really worth the cash, is there any other decent systems on the market or should i stick to milltek?

hope you can help, cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok....(im not expert on the Z20LET at all but this is what im doing)

fit a astra H boost/power pipe (in pic below) can still cut it to fit a dump valve, does the same job as a powerpipe but costs half the price and looks nice and standard (which is what i want)

for the 2.2 airbox, it helps reduce the distance the air has to flow into the engine and reduces heat soak as it doesnt have to pass over the engine

SEE HERE im doing it as it is at the bottom with the standard pipes to keep the standard look (again which i want)

for the vectra pipes SEE HERE, they arnt as big as the dbalis one from regal but rather than costing £100 odd it costs £13 and there isnt alot in it, so worth doing imo

today i ordered everyhing for all the above and cost me £80 odd so not alot tbh

For the exhaust im getting a blueflame cat back system (often for sale on ebay) £240 delivered with a lifetime warranty and surpossed to be very good,

Thats all i can gelp with but sure someone else will help some more soon
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one thing mate before getting dump valve is to look thru previous posts on here. most z20let drivers dont use dump valves as they can actually have a negative effect on the engine and can cause further problems. im not too sure on the technicalitites but just have a look thru other posts im sure someone will explain it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The hoses that regal sell are made by samco good pedigree there,the flow master is another piece of quality as you are getting a K and N filter in specially designed box so that the engine gets a better and cleaner airr flow to it and lastly i have a Miltek on my TT and as soon money allows it will be coming off they claim to increase power but i have not sign any dyno graphs to prove this the choice is yours again regal do all the products you have asked for and i am sure if you phone up are getting all the work done there may be a deal in there i would also look at software to optimise all the mods you have planned
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a miltek exhaust and it excellent its more expensive than the blue flame i got my miltek for £311 from Thorney motor sport. it sounds amasing its not too loud but when u put ur foot down it opens up. i havn't had mine on the dyno since fitting but i am soon, most people with them fittes say they add about 15-20 with airbox mods and a pre cat replacment pipe.

you can get a 2 vectra c intake pipes and cut and bond them together to make a massive pipe thats still half the price of the dbylis pipe. if you have a look at this thread this shows wot someones done to make a big pipe looks good.
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70745
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_coupe
    one thing mate before getting dump valve is to look thru previous posts on here. most z20let drivers dont use dump valves as they can actually have a negative effect on the engine and can cause further problems. im not too sure on the technicalitites but just have a look thru other posts im sure someone will explain it
    That's not entirely true. I have had a dump valve fitted to my GSI Turbo since I brought it and had absolutly no problems what so ever. End of the day I think it mostly comes down to how you fit it. If you leave the OEM dump valve working and simply add the 2nd dump valve to the system then chances are you will be fine - that's also the way most tuners woulod advise yo do it as well.

In terms of air filter the Astra suffers from heat soak under the bonnet so most open filters have an adverse affect if installed. Your best best is to de-restrict the air box that's currently in there and add a Vectra C intake pipe. The flow master kit from Regal is supposed to be very good and produce gains of up to 10bhp but as yet I don't actually know anyone who has taken the plunge and brought one.

Exhausts - I also have a Milltek exhaust which I have been very pleased with. It produces a nice growl under load but is nice and quite when your in traffic etc. The precat is definatly worth doing as well because it will free up some extra Torque. I do think claims of 15-20 bhp are over the top but you should see a good 10-12 bhp from the Exhaust and precat because your not going to see much if anything at all from filter\air box mods.

Once you have the above bits in place you should consider the remap to Stage 1. With the above Mods and Stage 1 you should see around 230bhp or if your lucky like me - 240bhp and pleanty of Torque.
    JDM WRX STi7 Subaru Impreza
    300bhp