Thread: wot sat nav do i get?????

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wot sat nav do i get?????

looking at getting sat nav with so many to choose from just wondering what people who have got them think are the best ones to go for currently got a road angel but want sat nav that has camera alerts on but heard that road angel sat nav is pants any thougts ?
    cheers gav
    the owner of a black mk4 GSI turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Id go for a TomTom setup with the speed camera database installed. It covers all the cameras that the roadangel has. Its what I have, the only problem with the speed camera database gets updated with new cameras, but does seem to have anyone removing the ones that arent there. So you freqently get alerts for a speed camera that doesnt exist.

However it doesnt hurt to be over cautious.

I have TomTom Mobile 5 installed on my Nokia 6680, my Dad has TomTom 5 installed on his HP IPAQ, and both work fine. I think its a bit better buying a TomTom Go, but they aint cheap.

Ive seen the Roadangel sat nav, I dont think its any better than TomTom's. The only advantage you get is having the mobile radar detectors on it, but 95% of the time when they alert you to a mobile camera its too late.

John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From my extensive testing of all the new stuff these are the ones I would recommend. I have listed the pros' and cons of each and in the end the one I would go for. All models recommended support speed cam uploads.

tomtom Pro's: 1)the widescreen
    2) simpisty
    3) up to date Sirf 3 chipset
    4) the very clear and loud voice.

Cons:1) the mapping does not make use of the screen correctly as the icons used are rubbish and as such the widesceen is wasted.
    2) The mount is a step down from the old one and vibrates to much in hard suspension cars, making reading it a wee bit difficult to read at times. The old one was way better in this regard. A step backwards tomtom!
    3) the thing is too big
    4) Map routing leaves a bit to be desired at times (might have heard about it in the press, well it is true)

Garmin nuvi's:

Pro's: 1) size, enuff said this thing is minute
    2) the Screen icons make good use of the screen (which is not a patch on the tomtom one but you would be hard pressed to see this)
    3) Mapping is excellent and slightly more up to date than the tomtom.
    4) the mount is excellent
    5) simplisty in itself to use
    6) Sirf 3 chipset

Cons: 1) the screen size suffers due to the small size of the unit
    2) map routing (see the tomtom comments as this is the same)

Gamrin 500 series:

Pro's: see the nuvi pros with the exception of size as it is similar to the totom in size.

Cons:1) size
    2) map rounting (see nuvi and tomtom comments)

Navman

Pros: 1) the best screen clarity in the business
    2) the mapping icons and screens are brilliant in there clarity
    4) small size is good but not quite as good as the garmin nuvi
    5) excellent mount (lags behing the Gamin though)
    6) sirf 3 chipset

cons: 1) far to many menus to play with makes it complicated
    2) Same routing issues as the other two
    3) mapping is the same as the tomtom and a wee bit behind the garmin in date
    4) POI are a bit to comlicated to use properly
    5) the camera to take photo's of your Fav destinations is a gimmick it could do without, and adds unecessary bulk

Roadangel: Cons only: I have no good points at all for this thing as the unit I tested and its replacement carried on crashing, as such I will not recommend this product, until they fix the software on this thing.

Out of all the above: I would choose the Garmin Nuvi simply because it does everything the Tomtom does but it does it in a more simplistic way and in a much smaller package (which makes removing it easy) and then the tomtoms but both are excellent and both do a great job

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TomTom any day.. The stories in the press are from nobs that cant use it and want to blame something..

Never EVER had problems with mine...

Also the peole that say it takes you the wrong way to places should just NOT use a GPS device as they obviously know the way
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sploodge
    TomTom any day.. The stories in the press are from nobs that cant use it and want to blame something..

Never EVER had problems with mine...

Also the peole that say it takes you the wrong way to places should just NOT use a GPS device as they obviously know the way
    Splodge when I say mapping software issues yes I test on a route I know, how else do you test its routing capabilty? I always run all the units on the same route. You will be suprised just how diverse the routes are that each one will take. Note none of them are perfect they all have there issues.

As for me not being able to use it or indeed the press I beg to differ most of the reviewers that test these things have used these things from day one when they first came out. Me I have been in the sat nav buisness since the 1st day Mercedes started offering it in there cars having been on the design and test team for them.

I am not saying that Tomtom is bad far from it I think it is excellent just it has a long way to go to being perfect.

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilD
    Splodge when I say mapping software issues yes I test on a route I know, how else do you test its routing capabilty? I always run all the units on the same route. You will be suprised just how diverse the routes are that each one will take. Note none of them are perfect they all have there issues.

As for me not being able to use it or indeed the press I beg to differ most of the reviewers that test these things have used these things from day one when they first came out. Me I have been in the sat nav buisness since the 1st day Mercedes started offering it in there cars having been on the design and test team for them.

I am not saying that Tomtom is bad far from it I think it is excellent just it has a long way to go to being perfect.
    All I was saying is that I have never had an issue with the TomTom I use and have owned one since day 1 they came out.

As with all GPS devices, if you dont use them correctly ( faster route and shortest route are completely different and the later with take you down some mad roads ), then you will NOT get the full advantage from them..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sploodge I test both shortest and fastest routes on all models that I try ,and I wish I can say that the occasional mad route is limited to which route you choose or how you use the device. It is not as they all seem to plot out the ocassional mad one. Mind you of the three I have listed above the new software mapping has been greatly improved over the older versions and in most day to day use you would be hard pressed to get them to fault.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never had a problem with TomTom as such. The only problems are when they are currently building a road, or have made a change to a road in the past few months, the maps arent up to date and TomTom gets a bit confused, but it soons sorts itself out, and they release plenty of updates to sort problems like that.

John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I do not think people understand me when I say routing errors. I am not specifically talking about the TOMTOM as all the makes have the issue at some point or another and what makes one make better than the other is how the manufacturer resolves these issues. All three listed above are very good and resolving these issues.

So I will try and explain whatn I mean by routing issues in a non techincal speak:

So firstly I am not talking about the maps being out of date as I account for these issues when testing and actually include this in my testing to see how each model reacts to it. But what I am talking about is the routing algorithm used to calculate a route. Occasionaly due to a software coding issue, or indeed, mapping data not integrated correctly, that takes you down roads it should not. For example say you are going from Point A to Point B and the quickest way is to go via the motorway and to get to the motorway you take a A road, occassionaly when interpreting the maping info the algorithim decides to take you on a farm track to get to the motorway even though it knows that it is a farm track and as such will enevitabily be slower than the A road running parallel to the farm track.

This is what I call a routing issue and is something that all the navigation companies above (basically all companies in the navigation business) spend most of there time testing to ensure that it does not happen. So if you know that a route you have taken is wrong report it by giving as much info as possible of the route you would expect to take and the actual route the software made you take. It makes it much easier for them to test the fault and see why it took you the way it did.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanx for all your replies guys some great facts and info there more than i expected but very much apprecited would i need a seperate ariel like i need for my road angel cos of heated windscreen and where is cheapest place to get it from thanx again guys
    gav
    the owner of a black mk4 GSI turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast