Thread: Attn all owners of K&N panel filters

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Attn all owners of K&N panel filters

Like a lot of other Astra owners on here I fitted a K&N filter a couple of years ago. However I've recently bought a BMC CDA filter for when I fit my Dbilas inlet manifold shortly. I dismanted the BMC to clean the filter, it looks exactly like a K&N inside BTW, I decided to buy a K&N cleaning kit from Online Autosport as I thought it could do with a clean. Whilst doing the BMC filter I thought I may as well do the K&N panel filter. Removed it and damn it was dirty, knocked all the crud off the bottom I could, sprayed it with the cleaner and left it for 10 mins. Hosed the filter down and allowed it to dry, then sprayed it with the oil in the kit. Waited 20 mins and checked for any missed bits and resprayed the filter again.

Put the filter back in and the difference is very marked, first thing I noticed was the tickover, normally its at 750 but now its dropped to 700, the pickup is cleaner, the response is better, everything just feels just so much better.

So if your like me and had the filter in for a while can I advise you buy a cleaning kit and have a bash. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd just add, don't go too happy slappy on the oil when you re-oil it.... follow the instructions!
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I only cleaned that BMC recently mate

(Haven't forgotten to post the clamp)
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did a similar thread to this a couple of months ago, as my K&N was filthy and seriously clogged up with loads of stuff from small stones to small wildlife. There is definitely a need to clean more oftne than the 30,000 miles they specify.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it's worth noting though that they actually use the build up of dirt to aid their filtration.... if you are running around with a totally clean filter all the time, it isn't performing as much filtration as it should be - so don't go overboard on cleaning every 4 miles
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    it's worth noting though that they actually use the build up of dirt to aid their filtration.... if you are running around with a totally clean filter all the time, it isn't performing as much filtration as it should be - so don't go overboard on cleaning every 4 miles
    Isn't that what the oil is for though? to trap dust etc, don't own one so just a guess.

Opened my airbox the yesterday to try and de-restrict it and it had an inch of leaves and stuff in the bottom of the box.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clokey
    I only cleaned that BMC recently mate

(Haven't forgotten to post the clamp)
    Thought you had mate, I was just making sure though as I've read if the filter was over oiled it can blow the AFM, best safe than sorry and I was intending to do the K&N soon anyway so I thought I'd buy a kit and practice on the BMC.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I give mine a blast on the air line at work probably every 6k ish. Then clean as when I thing it looks too grimey

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Odd what size is your BMC? I have bought one and fitted it (huge difference!) but I think it may be too small?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's the BMC CDA 85/150 fitted with the 70mm reducer on the engine side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast