Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dads wanting me to get the diesel....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dads wanting me to get the diesel....

Basically ive been a **** and spent over £1000 on my car in repairs in the past 5 months...when i only bought the car for £675.

My dad said to me that thats the final line. From now on, if a repair needs to be done thats more than £50 to just scrap the car. But he said that if that happens he would probably buy me a 1.7 diesel astra mk4.

Nooooooooooooo.

For the past 2 years odd, ive been wanting the 1.8 sxi and i'll be able to afford one come this february. However if my car goes tits-up before then, he will buy me the diesel (no way will he get me the 1.8 sxi). He thinks, that me being , having the diesel is better because it will put me off ragging the car and will save me money on fuel. And if i sell the diesel when i can afford the sxi he will see that as insulting and being ungrateful and go absolutely ape.

Luckily he doesnt live with me and since xmas, ive only seen him about once every 3-4 weeks. If i were to buy myself the sxi although he would be unhappy about it, i know he wouldnt say anything because there is no point. Ive got the car....cant do anything about it.

Sigh what do you think i should do? Brave saying to my dad "actually can i have an sxi" or just stick with the diesel or what? Im clueless cos ive been so looking forward to this 1.8sxi and modding it.
    Black Sapphire Astra Mk 4 2.2 SRi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well............. Price of petrol........ I own a GSI at the moment but in 5 years time I bet none of us will be able to run petrol cars. I was thinking something like that 888 diesel....

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easy - dont tell him if it needs repairing or the cost between now and getting the 1.8
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    See if he will get the 2.0 diesel.

Otherwise strip your MK3 down and sell the bits off, then get the Sxi. I would consider the Sport though - its the same spec as the SRi but without the spoiler and 15 inch wheels instead of 16. Mine came with a spoiler from the factory, so it was just the wheels. The sport is an insurance group lower too.

Or, break something on the MK3, get your dad to buy the diesel, then between now and next Feb, pretend its having loads of problems, then sell it on and buy your SXi.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get a 2.0DTi - you won't want a 1.8 once you've driven the DTi.

OK, the 2.0DTi is pretty rough and noisy, but you'll become deaf in a few months, so you won't hear it. Oh, and the ability to cover tailgaters in plooms of black smoke is most humerous. 40-50mpg is useful too.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

SXi Stu
    1.7 DTi or CDTi?? tbh both are a bit naff, but the CDTi is a bit better

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you want the 1.8 sxi get it but think of running it and plus you are 18 and insurance will be sky high for you mate, it was for me on a 1.6 sxi, cant imagine what it will be for you (btw with these accidents have you reported them to your insurance or not?)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If youre worried about insurance, then from what i found getting quotes, my 2.0DTi costs mroe on insurance than a 1.8SXi of the same age.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2.0DTi is group 8E, which I think is the same as the 1.8?

Some insurers will charge more if your car is over 2 litres, which may be the problem.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Weird, it probably was due to it being a 2.0l, although its actually only 1998. Sxi was a couple of hundred cheaper and i was 19 at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast