Thread: help! cant decide what to do!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help! cant decide what to do!

my front brake n/s was sticking so i went to kwik fit to have it check and they said that its just needs cleaning which they did and went ok for a couple of weeks but then it gone sticking again. i went back to them to have it check for the second time. after an hour the guy from kwik fit phone me and said that he couldnt get the piston out of the caliper coz its stuck and so for that reason they said that i need a new caliper and a disc coz the disc had blue discoloration due to the heat and its prone to cracking. They quoted me for a new caliper and a disc for £200 !

is that too much?!

now on my canvassing for a new pair of disc and caliper, i came across with this of courtenay's:

288mm Disc Conversion. This kit contains a pair of 288mm discs (available in plain or with a 16 groove configuration) together with a pair of V6 brake calipers and fittings. This conversion enable owners of any front wheel drive Vauxhall/Opel with 4 stud wheel bolt pattern to have massive stopping power. (288mm is the same disc size as the V6 Vectra!)
    This conversion will fit under wheels of 15" diameter and greater.

Plain 288mm disc conversion with calipers ... £290.00

now that i think its cheap!

the only thing is that i only got a mk4 8v and i was thinking, is the conversion worth for such a small engine?! or should i just buy a pair of standard dics and caliper?

sorry for the long thread.

any inputs will be much appreciated!!!

thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    never fit one disc.or put a new disc on old pads. put a new pair of std discs and pads on from vxl. and go to vxl to get a new caliper.they might even sell reconditioned ones. ask tham as it will be alot cheaper and you still get a years cover.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i upgraded to v6 discs and calipers on my mk2 for 50quid, went to a breakers for the parts and did it myself
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As car.crash said don't ever replace one disc or one side of pads. If your being quoted £200 just for one calliper and disc then for the extra £90 the 288mm upgrade seems ideal and quite a good deal. Just remember by the looks of the add u will require a set of pads and someone to fit them to. If your not doin it yourself go to a local garage not st*t fit.
    It's worth it definately, your ABS will cope with no problems at all.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    errr! i forgot to mention, i dont have ABS ! and i think with that conversion and with that stopping power my car will just skid all over the place! thanks bad ass astra for mentioning ABS! and thanks guys for the help!!! i think i'll just stick to standard ones !

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    og into vauxhall parts dept, check out the prices, wink wink (also getting the part numbers) go down to your local unipart and get the parts they will cross reference them, and do it your self its soo easy
    dont let kwik fit do it, they are robbing ba****rds, in my opinion (of which a/s take no responsability for)

they said i needed 2 new sections for an exhaust £420 ;-0
    all it needed was a new bracket, £15.00 local garage
    "Why Can i not get this Dam Thing to Work aaaggg !"

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i'm not a good DIYer when it comes to cars esp on brakes but i got a hanyes manual with me and i think i'll be alright! or will i?! one thing that concerns me is the bleeding! got no idea how to do it!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get a break bleeder kit from halfrauds, a mate or some one to help you, all the destructions are there in the kit and haynes manual,
    i was the same but after doing things like this it helps to know how your car works
    "Why Can i not get this Dam Thing to Work aaaggg !"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    look for the 308mm 4 stud kit can be got for under £300

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astra boy
    well i'm not a good DIYer when it comes to cars esp on brakes but i got a hanyes manual with me and i think i'll be alright! or will i?! one thing that concerns me is the bleeding! got no idea how to do it!
    You'll be alright. I replaced the copper brake lines on my cav, was easy, and it was my first time having anything to do with brakes. Bleeding was a piece of cake, apart from a seized up bleed-nipple...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast