Thread: wheel caps over alloy wheel bolts

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wheel caps over alloy wheel bolts

my car is in the garage having new brakes. the cap that covers the wheel nuts on the alloys wont come off as they say the bolt is corrided in. i have no brakes at all and need the car so there having to drill off the top of the bolt to get the caps off to do the work. but they wont put them back on... couldnt a screw extractor be used to drill out the corrided bolt ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds very strange to me as the plastic caps are only pushed on with your finger, they simply pull off or sometimes need a screwdriver to push em off, but the bolt being corroded wouldnt affect the plastic, i would look at it yourself before they start drilling things its not hard to take a wheel off

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vxcoupe16v - some Astra Mk4, and many earlier Vauxhalls used a locking alloy plate which covered all 4 wheel bolts - it's the single bolt securing the plate which is jammed.

lee8040 - the bolt may be cross-threaded but in either case it'll need to be drilled out. You'll need to fit locking wheel bolts to secure the wheels and do without the alloy cover. Cosmetically poor but cheaper than new wheels!
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe