Thread: De restricting the air box

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

De restricting the air box

De restricting the air box on my 1.6 SXI astra Ecotech engine.

im thinking about gettin Dbilas flowmaster system. i think its a whole new inlet manifold, which should de restrict the airbox yes?

How much more power does this give me a lad who works with this engine and has Cammed his sed im lookin at about 30bhp increase with an exhaust and a slight remap to let the ECU know how much more air its gonna be getting.

Will it be noticable?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    first of all a new inlet manifold is not considered as derestricting the airbox.The airbox is something completely different. Secondly why spend all that money uprating the inlet manifold? Save your money part ex the car and buy a 1.8 then with the spare cash buy a K&N panel filter and derestict the air box.

Its alot of money to spend on a little 1.6 thats all. I looked at it and I decided to put the money towards a z20let. At the end of the day if you derestict the box and fit the veccy C diesel air intake pipe then you will increase throttle response. If your after GG's then buy another engine.

Would it be noticable? Yes of course it would. For the first couple of weeks then you would get used to it and then your gonna be looking for more power and the 1.6 just ain't up to providing a load of power.

Sorry to be negative but I have thought long and hard whether to butcher the engine or just buy a new car. Guess what I chose?
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam
    first of all a new inlet manifold is not considered as derestricting the airbox.The airbox is something completely different. Secondly why spend all that money uprating the inlet manifold? Save your money part ex the car and buy a 1.8 then with the spare cash buy a K&N panel filter and derestict the air box.

Its alot of money to spend on a little 1.6 thats all. I looked at it and I decided to put the money towards a z20let. At the end of the day if you derestict the box and fit the veccy C diesel air intake pipe then you will increase throttle response. If your after GG's then buy another engine.

Would it be noticable? Yes of course it would. For the first couple of weeks then you would get used to it and then your gonna be looking for more power and the 1.6 just ain't up to providing a load of power.

Sorry to be negative but I have thought long and hard whether to butcher the engine or just buy a new car. Guess what I chose?
    well i aint gonna part ex at all because i just got the car. bought that car for the engine specifiically for better petrol consumption and sopossedly the better engine compared to the 1.8 and the 2.0.

What Do you class as destricting the airbox then? it cant surely just be that big fat Box up front and stickin sommet like a universal induction kit on it...

of course ill get used to it as well you would with any car no matter how big the engine is but as long as im gonna notice a increase from what i have now i think i would be happy as at least my Money hasnt been wasted. the inlet manifold isnt that exspensive Either to be fair its £169 which for some induction kits you can easily pay.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you take off the top of your air filter box and lift up the paper panel filter you will see the pipes going in and out of the box....de-restricting is cutting those pipes to make it easier for air to come in then back out a little easier. This mod works best with a performance panel filter to really notice a difference. Oh and stick the veccy c pipe on too (They're only a couple of squid) If you look in the 'How-to' guides it shows pictures which will make the above blurb much clearer!! ha ha
    Happy modding buddy.
    *Did own* Flame Red 3Dr MK4 SXi 1.6
    *Now own* Audi TT 1.8T [225] Black Convertible

SXi Stu
    you dont have to cut the pipes, just remove them

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But if like me you're not very patient, then you can cut of the clips and they slide out a lot easier. I lost my temper with it and just sliced off the plastic tabs so they came off
    The Lord works in mysterious ways...
    Corsa CDTi - 120bhp / 215 lb-ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your gonna spend about a grand on all that matey.... and 25-30bhp aint a lot to show for that.
    I've looked at all the possiblities, i've the same engine as you and to get and extra 30-45 bhp TOPS I was lookin at spendin around £2k!!
    I'm after another Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemo SXi
    your gonna spend about a grand on all that matey.... and 25-30bhp aint a lot to show for that.
    I've looked at all the possiblities, i've the same engine as you and to get and extra 30-45 bhp TOPS I was lookin at spendin around £2k!!
    cheers people. What mods have you done to urs?

im after all the obvious like im not interested in sound just performance even if the engine is a little small im sure i can get sommet extra out of it. im after a full stainless exhaust, and airfilter jobby and possibly that new inlet manifold.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, If your willing to spend the cash be about £700 for manifold, £300 for exhaut system £250 for remap and £50-80 for airbox mods....

I've got a 1.6 16v Twinport edition
    Cat back custom exhaust system
    De-restricted air box
    K&N air filter
    Veccy C intake and bigger intake pipes for it...
    Improved the throttle response no end
    I'm after another Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemo SXi
    Well, If your willing to spend the cash be about £700 for manifold, £300 for exhaut system £250 for remap and £50-80 for airbox mods....

I've got a 1.6 16v Twinport edition
    Cat back custom exhaust system
    De-restricted air box
    K&N air filter
    Veccy C intake and bigger intake pipes for it...
    Improved the throttle response no end
    have you put urs on the rolling road ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast