Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Limited to SDP insurance

from www.ecarinsurance.co.uk
    Any driver with an occupation of Housewife, Househusband, Retired, Unemployed, Motor Trade and Journalism is limited to Social, Domestic & Pleasure use.
    Why do insurance companies do this? Housewife, husband, retired and unemployed i understand as they dont need to commute, but why motor trade and journalism?

Ive seen others besides this company do this.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe because the car would be used very regularly in those occupations. More time on the road more risk maybe? I spose theyd expect you to get business use... I mean how do you define commuting from a journalists view? At one extreme they could be chasing a celeb and write their car off and just claim they were commuting. Just my opinion tho.
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's all about risk.

If you are in the motor trade that means you probably drive a variety of cars about all day so insurers wouldn't want to get involved in anything to do with that occupation.

Journalist can be seen as a risky job, again driving a lot and would potentially have contact with some important/famous people. An insurer would be worried about any third party pay out. To give you an extreme example - you have Beckham in your car and you crash breaking both his legs = ŁŁŁŁŁŁ. Insurance companies just want to limit the risk involved.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair point.

Howcome insurers are aloud to discrimate in this way though. Seems a bit odd in our day and age. If it was shown that black people crashed more cars than white people, they wouldnt be able to charge more, yet they can on male / female and ocupations.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are a lot of wee things like that. Marital status for example, as a single guy my insurance is more expensive than a married man with kids - because he is going to be more responsible.. apparently !

Insurance companies can pretty much do what they want with how they rate people tbh.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it works something like this....

there are 4 dart boards on the wall, one with under 21, one with 21 to 25, one with 25+ and one titled "modifications". each of these boards has seemingly random numbers in each section.

when you call, the operator throws a dart at the relevant board and comes out with a number... if your car is modifed they take a throw at the "modified board" and add whatever number comes up to the number from the first throw.

they then if you're lucky they then reduce the number by whatever percentage no claims you have.
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've worked in insurance too Rusty?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Surely if you were in the motor or journo trade and using your own car for that then you'd surely insure it as busniess use?