Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tuning

I have a MK4 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16V.

I was thinking about tuning it a wee bit. Easiest option people will suggest is add another engine but my current engine is in fantastic condition. So I am looking to keep the current engine and tune it as much as possible. I thought about taking it to Dastek to get the car chipped as this will add around 15bhp for under £300. My car is booked in for a full custom stainless steel exhaust system next month, I may get an air filter to so that should add around 5bhp max. I was thinking about de-restricting the airbox. I looked at a manifold a while back which supposedly added 22bhp but that was £800. How do I go about polishing and skimming the head? What does this do etc? Any other modifications you can think of. Looking to make the car faster than the usual standard 99bhp.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    De-restricting the box is a very good way of getting more power, you need to get the car breathing properly first.. so good intake and the exhaust. Don't get a remap till you've done this.

Polishing and skimming as far as my knowledge remembers basically makes the engine run a hell of a lot smoother meaning you get more from it. If your thinking of a manifold aswell as your exhaust your gonna want to get a sports cat.

I wouldn't believe the 'gain' figures either as it depends entirely on what is on the car and how its running.

i'm sure people will prove me wrong and eliberate but thats the best answer i could come up with for you
    ~Not long now people~