Thread: ********astrasport Being Hacked*********

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Post ********astrasport Being Hacked*********

As you may or may not know AstraSport was hacked at around 6:30pm yesterday. Some one with a grudge towards someone else (political) decided to use us to make a statment. The Hacker was able to change the two most important folders in the database for the forum. With these two folders missing the forum was unable to work and we were unable to navigate it. It resulted in a complete restore of the database.

The last back up we did was yesterday around 9am so we have lost a days worth of posts. You may have to re-send PM's and double check threads that you require a reply from are still running or create new ones. We are sorry that this will have inconvienenced you but it was just a little bit scary for us yesterday as well, especially being so close to PVS but also as we thought we may have lost the database completely.

As for why it happened? Well we are the only ones it happened to on our server, and it only effected the forum database, which leads us to a problem with the forum code. We are running up to date software and we do change passwords regally. AstraSport is hosted on an American server so this is sometimes why we are open to attacked (this is the second time in the history of AS), but there is nothing we can do about that. We just have to hope the person has moved on to some where else now.

The reason it took a while to get it back online was due to several factors, 1 we had to try and determine if we had too do a complete restore. 2 we had to see if any of the database was lost. 3 we had to try and make sure it wasn't going to happen again, and how to remove the dodgy Arabic music . 4 We had to re-upload the database and as the database is 1GB it puts a huge strain on the server, so we have to do it in stages so that it doesn't affect the other sites running on the same server.

Astra Sport went back online at around 4:25am this morning.

We would like to thank Steven, Dimitry, and Alex from Insider Hosting as they worked very hard indeed, and stayed in constant contact with me whilst getting it sorted. Brilliant service from them as always

Also thanks to all the members that called me yesterday to let me know there was a problem, I must admit I put my phones on to silent for a most of the night I did have over 40 calls on the mobile and loads on the home phone, it was like a call centre

Anyway the main thing is WE ARE BACK, we haven't lost too much data, and it could have been a lot worse especially with PVS coming up at the weekend.

Once again sorry for the downtime and no we were not held to ransom as some of you thought

Cheers

Mat and John.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well done to all of ya guys for the work you put in to get us back on line a drink to ya all

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well done for sorting that shiite out chaps Mike translated some of the writing, can't remember exactly what it said.....

strange to pick a car forum to make a statement, that none of us really understand anyway

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good work on getting it all back up and running - well done to all involved.

Why us?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoman
    Mike translated some of the writing, can't remember exactly what it said.....
    1stly well done matt and others for getting us back oline, just shows the pure strength and determination you guys have
    IIRC translatted roughly it was stating about some militent (cant remember his name or pronouce it even if i tried) wouldnt stop until death! wether that means his or someone else's who knows, couldnt translate the picture! Just goes to show how despriate they really are imo!

Sorry if this post has offended anyone, not my intention!
    (Im not the Mike Legoman was saying about, but done the translation aswell!)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah foo kin bas tard os good that you are back. I was beginning to get the shakes without my regular AS fix
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well done chaps Glad we are back online

As for the translation
    The small writing that appeared said

"Monster Monster"
    "Muchadin must Die"!

Nice
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be the monster from the sugar puffs advert not getting enough

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, it was all a bit odd. I was able to navigate the board using the New Posts function (which is how I read the board anyway) Anyway. All done now. Well done guys.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen2006
    could be the monster from the sugar puffs advert not getting enough
    er...yeah....quite.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast