Thread: In-car camera to watch the rear seat ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In-car camera to watch the rear seat ?

I want to rig up some kind of camera system in my Mk4 Astra so I can have my young nipper in the rear passenger side seat and watch him (or should say my wife can) from the front.
    I'm looking at possibly changing the centre console for the Sat Nav screen enclosure and trying to a camera install to be viewed on a cheap 5" screen mount in this but haven't got much of an idea how to do it. I'm competent with wiring so the fitting isn't a problem just need some ideas from anyone on here please.
    The current Radio display top section is the blank plastic. The middle part of the centre console is silver so I assume it's separate from the top so can I just replace the top part ?
    Then what do for the camera ? Would it have to be seat mounted or somehow roof mounted.

Answers on a postcard ?
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to be honest mate i wouldnt. use the rear wiew mirror with a baby extension on so u can see you child but if you have a cam and monitor u will be watching it rather than the road causing a danger to yourself your child and other road users. and if your passed by a police car that notices a monitor on whilst driving you will be in trouble too. theres no need to watch the child whilst driving cause u will be able to hear if it needs anything. i know your just a concerned parent but think of if theres a hidden exit and as your watching the monitor something pulls out or someone steps out between a car then your going to cause an accident. just my opinion though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, I see yor point, it wouldn't just be for that (I have other stuff I'd want to connect) but I'd only use it for the rear when my wife was in the car.
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how about putting the screen in the passenger sun visor? ive seen it done before, looked quite effective, then can also be hidden away if not in use
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell your wife to turn round and look! Fail in that get some driving instructor type mirrors to see behind a bit better?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like the sun visor idea. Still unsure about how to do the camera though.
    Not sure about the rear view mirror, wanted someting electronic lol.
    Any excuse to get the wife to agree to an uprated display or something !
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi