Thread: Please help!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please help!

I know I have already put this problem up in the tech section but ...

Like most ppl on here ... i need this sorted by PV

http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67473

Mods, sorry but i want max viewage!
    GSi Turbo - CS2 - 253bhp / 275ft/lb Torque
    1/4 mile - 14.62secs @ 95.5mph

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm trying really hard here to visualise the problem. My recollections of fitting my springs etc to my front shocks are probably slightly more detailed than other peoples as I had a few probs with the supplied bump stops and I tried everything to get them to fit and that's why I remember the way things were.

First off I presume the Spax dampers were made especially for the Astra G?

If so they must know the diameter of the main damper rod. Most dampers I've heard of use the existing bearing so they know what size the bearing is.
    On my damper there was a bump stop rubber which located right at the bottom of the damper rod, then the spring went on, then the bearing which is encased in a rubber housing, this is held by a washer and a nut IIRC. This then is mounted on the car and passes through the inner wing, another rubber encased large diameter washer is then slotted onto the rod, this centralises the damper into the inner wing, this is then held by a large nut which is covered by a plastic cover.

Now I'd really like to know where he gets the chunkier bearing solution from, the bearing is inside a large rubber housing, the only way it would be wrong is if the damper rod was the wrong diameter. If I'm reading him correctly he's worried the rubber housing that the bearing lives in and the rubber coating on the bottom of the locating washer are touching each other. AFAIK they are supposed to do this, they sandwich the inner wing between them thus keeping the strut centralised, they need to be rubber to stop it clunking I'd imagine.

You sure he's located the spring correctly and it's not allowing the bearing housing to locate correctly?

Only thing I can think of TBH.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for ya help mate! I will get some pix of the top plates and show ya how they scratched it before. They have been fitted b4 and I had a front shock burst and there was oil/fluid pi55in out from it.

bbs

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So anyone got any diagrams of how suspension front shocks get fitted ?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone got a diagram?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Def go with oddjob, think ur mechanic is talkin out of his arse. There is no way it could go wrong, sure he put it back together properly?