Thread: Selling a car privately

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Selling a car privately

Have any of you ever done this or tried to?

How easy is it?

I dunno how I'll manage without a car though until I found another one. My dad said I could use his Calibra while I was looking for a car, but that's dead at the moment so that won't be an option, unless he gets it fixed by the time I come to putting mine up for sale.

I want a bigger engine as my two claims will drop off my insurance now and I did a quote on a 2.0 16v Golf GTi and it surprised me, actually it shocked me how much it was! I don't want a 2.0 though, rather go for a 1.8 which is quite quick and thinking about cost of petrol and tax and any other costs. But wanna buy a car that's between £2,000 to £3,000 so got a couple of grand left over from selling mine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Autotrader is your best bet. The local papers too or eBay if you are feeling brave.

You don't need to think about engine size too much - a 2.0 8v Golf GTi has less poke than a 1.8 16v astra for example. Get a few insurance quotes and go from there. Plenty of cars about for that sort of cash depending on what you want.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sold my corsa sport-bought it brand new December last year then sold it 2 months later and lost £2k !! Advertised on websites but made the deal in local newspaper! Had no trouble at all with it!
    <<< astra-sport (Beds Region) >>>
    ...COME AND JOIN IN THE FUN...
    The small ones are the juciest! ... G&T Queen

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've tried to sell my last 2 cars privately and not managed it, first my laguna and now i've just traded in the astra coupe. mind you living in the middle of no where makes it harder

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wanna sell it privately as I'll get more money for it that way. I'm actually looking at a 1.8 16v Astra Sten. I know they're quite quick for what they are and still cheap insurance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your selling a cheap car (£50-£3000) then its usually easy as if its really cheap then people can pay in cash and if its a touch over their budget of "cash amount" then they can get a very small loan or use their overdraft etc.

I sold my Golf GTI for around £3000 2yrs ago and I sold it the same day it was advertised, because it was cheap mainly, mk3 immaculate for £3000 with low miles.

However, when I tried to sell my Coupe Turbo, it was a nightmare, put up for £10,495 or summet ... who has this kinda money laying around? and if so, wouldnt they rather spend it on a car from a garage that has a warranty? ... exactly, though I was lucky I still had 9months left of Vaux's warranty.

I ended up selling my old Coupe Turbo by asking a guy at the local BP garage to put it on his forecourt and then people who were filling up would see it and enquire. I sold it 2week after it was put there, yet it had been advertised in local papers etc for the previous 5weeks, costing me quite alot .. £40-50 a week on advertising.

Bottom line, if its an cheaper car, it'll be quite easy to sell, if its got a large price tag, you might be waiting quite along time before it sells... IF it sells. You might even have to take it to a garage and get "trade value".
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would sell it for 10k. It's not even worth that much

I've only got a Astra G SXi 1.6 16v 02-reg and it's done nearly 38,000 miles. It's got tax end of this month, MOT in July, needs a proper service and will need a cambelt.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £4k ish probably ?
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are Astra's older than mine up for sale at £5,000 on Autotrader Sten and have done more miles.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd be very suprised if you got more than 5k lisa.... expect 4-4.5 tops

friend just bought a mint 2.0 sri with just over 40k miles for 4 grand (cam belt and 40k service already done)
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast