Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Knocking Noise

Hi Folks

I am new to the Astra after getting rid of my Corsa about 18 Months ago and deciding to go back to VX as the Peugeot I had was a bag of spanners and cost me a small fortune to maintain.

Anyway Ive bought a nice SXI which has been tastfully modified. The only issue with it is an annoying rummble / rattle / knocking from the rear as if something is loose. Ive had the exhuast checked to see if it was that but it was fine. It seems to be when the car is in motion and on uneven road. Even the slight road inperfection seems to make it happen.

The car has been lowered and has sports shockers on it although cant read label without popping the car on a ramp.

Any ideas? much appreciated!

Stefan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Broken rear springs?. Common fault on OE springs but not heard of it much with aftermarket ones. The Sxi is already lowered -20mm, you sure it's not still on OE springs. They used to break the bottom coil on the spring.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You sure its not just the parcel shelf rattling cos that does it in mine? I jus just cancel it out with my music tho, shud really get round to stopping it. Dont mean to hijack the post octo but has anyone else sorted out the rattling of their parcel shelf?
    Adam

Black 1.6 SXi Astra MK4

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The wiper motor inside the bootlid rattles on mine the odd time, stops for a while if I put the wiper on for a wipe.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers chaps.

Nar the springs are a nice red colour. They do have a label but I cant see what they are without jacking it up. Defo not OE ones though.

Its a pain in the backside!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would it be the exhaust knocking on the rear axle? mine does it on speed bumps! just a thought (u can see if u look under from the back)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be actual shock absorber gone? Where the top bolt goes through wears and after a while you can get qutie a bit of play

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys

Ive had another butchers this lunch while at work and taken the spare wheel out, checked the rear seat mountings and all seemed tight. I have diagnosed that the noise is coming from the rear right. If you bonuce the back end you can recreate the sound. Without a jack though im buggered!!

Had a word with VX who said the bushes maybe dry or the sway bar maybe loose (didnt know it had one of them). My warranty is screwed due to the mods. Kwik fit said they would have a look for free. If anything needed tightening etc they would sort it.

Keep you posted.

To top it all of I scratched my bumper last night.... not pleased. A nice 2" scuff under the number plate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No anti roll bar on the back end of an Astra Mk4 unless you fit it yourself like me. Could be a dry bush or a collapsed bush I suppose.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.