Thread: My A/C story so far....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My A/C story so far....

Its not been working recently so went to see my fridge repair man (strange you might think, but he does a lot of cars and is a lot cheaper than a garage) who emptied the system, cleaned and vacuumed it out, pressure tested it and re-gassed it. All seemed ok until I got the car home and there was a loudish 'hissing' sound. Left it over night and by morning the hissing had gone, but so had the cold air from the A/C.

Called him up yesterday and he said next course of action is to use a leak detection dye that shows up with UV light. Got to go out on Sunday to get that seen to. Hopefully its a pipe thts gone and not the compressor (or is it condensor...?)

The hissing sounded like it was from the front of the engine bay but checked the pipes under the air box (and found it had been de-restricted! ) and they seemed ok, apart from the big rubber one that goes into the bit where the gas is put in, if that makes sense? It looked like it was not connected properly.

Anyway, total cost so far for the re-gassing, cleaning nd the leak detection dye...... 2 bacon butties. Helps to know the right people I say.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hope its not to Costly Mate, A/C can be a Pain, my dad had a problem with his in this merc he used to have would have cost in excess of £600 to fix in the end, but luckily was under warrenty still!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First place to look is the aircon hose that runs below the airbox - the airbox vibrates against it, and sometimes rubs the pipe into a hole.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    There is a compressor and a condenser.

Normally, it is the condenser which cost me about £300 to have repaired on my Calibra. The compressor is more expensive than that.

Sounds like you have a leak in a pipe though, as when my condenser went (looks like another radiator at the front of the car) I did not hear any hissing. It took about 3-6 months for the gas to leak out.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I looked under the airbox and couldnt see any leaks... or holes in pipes.

The gas escaped overnight, so I assume its a bit of a big hole.