Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry You gotta be joking!!

Well well well...
    Off i went to spend $1500 on a new system.... amp sub headunit speaker the whole thing.. Me being a total newbie to doing anything to cars looked at the style factor and used the limited knowledge i have...
    BUT GET THIS....
    I bought my system a month ago put the speakers and headunit in myself which was easy but then i got to the sub and amp and thought i was in over my head, so i made a call to Strathfield car radios ( they are basically an automotive stereo company in aust) and asked them to put them in for me and thought for the sake of it i might ask them to rewire the speakers as one sounded really bad and didnt know what it was. So they charge me $50 to put the sub in $80 for the amp $60 for back speakers and $40 for the front, naturally had to pay upfront- then told the earlies they could do it was in 12 days, so booked in and thought its all good i will get it done even if it was almost 2 weeks later......
    ....... 2 weeks pass......
    Off to strathfield i go and got there at 9.20 ( as i was told to get there between 9 and 9.30am) go to give them my keys and the guy turns around and tells me im 40 mins late ( watever) so went out to the car and told him what the story was and he looks at me and says " you have 4 speakers and 1 sub with a 4 channel amp, you need a 5 channel ( funnily enough this same store sold me my gear as an advertised kit ( with my changes to head unit and speaker) but i didnt add anythign extra, so he tells me hes going to leave the 6" 3 ways in the back as is, hook the amp and the front 6" 4 ways to the amp.... off i go to and do what else i need to expecting his call at about 3 as he told me.....
    no call by 4.00 so i call and they said yeah all sweet come down about 5.
    Get there at 5 ( dont wanna be late and all ) only to be told " oh the guy didnt have enough time to do the amp coz you were 40 mins late"
    so im like.. yeah ok watever what time should i bring it in tomorrow the little ****s looked at me like i was speaking chinese and tell me that the next day they have is friday the 25th.. like WAT THE HELL, this dude has my car for that long and all he managed to do was pull out the head unit, and disconnect the front speakers.. THATS IT!!!
    AAARRGGH!!

So- i thought i would share my frustrating story with y'all whilst im looking at the posts to get an idea of how to do it all myself...

Any tips, suggestions comments welcome..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lets see 40mins late and they had it essentially for the whole day for what is essentially a half day job max, mmm they sound like a buch of cowboys to me, plus I do not think there comments about your gear says much about them and there knowledge.

Your attitude should not have been whatever, it sould have been a lot more demanding. At the end of the day they comminted to doing the job and have not completed it, therefore they should bend over backwards to accomadate you, rather than saying it was your fault for being 40mins late. I hope you told them to forget doing the rest of the job and demand the money for that bit back.

As for how too's have a look at the stickys on the top of this forum and also do a search as this has been covered numerous times before(and there are loads of pics with the how too's).

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find alot of audio places attatudes to be like this

its like its your job to buy and not theirs to sell it

get your money back and do the amp your self using the how too

it aint that hard buddy even a sheila could do it
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it took me a couple of hours. but its done.
    Yeah i know i should have been a little more demanding but the guys that were there have always been pretty good, but the ones that were there this morning are the ones i should be having a go at.
    I definatly wont be going back there though.
    Your right Craigy even a chick could do it ( in saying that i hope i have done it right).
    The installer had done a little more than i thought but even so a half day job doesnt take all day and then NOT complete it.

I played arond with it for a little while and managed to get it all up and going ( and didnt blow anything, yay) - i will run you by what i have done.

All the wiring had been done but nothing had been connected, so-
    I connected the power, ground and control wires to the amp and wired the speakers.
    Question: I have 4 speakers and one Sub, and a 4ch amp- my head unit has its own sub output.. so, i could wire all 4 speakers to the amp and run the sub from the headunit? yes or no....
    Also, im a little unsure with the settings i have in there at the moment. I have in the back, 220w 3 way 6" in the front i have 260w 4 way 6" a 12" 1000w sub and the amp is 4ch 600w. Only the front speakers are connected to the amp. (god i must sound so stupid right about now, hehe, but we all gotta start somewhere). So any suggestions on what i should do with what i have?
    The link for the specs on the headunit is;
    http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entert...ex.html#anch_3

Any point in the best direction would be totally awsome

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Run the Rears from the headunit, then amp front door speakers from the front 2 channels, and bridge the rears into a single sub channel for the sub.

Making it a 3 channel amp rather than a 4 - any self respecting audio place can do this !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_sri
    Well it took me a couple of hours. but its done.
    Yeah i know i should have been a little more demanding but the guys that were there have always been pretty good, but the ones that were there this morning are the ones i should be having a go at.
    I definatly wont be going back there though.
    Your right Craigy even a chick could do it ( in saying that i hope i have done it right).
    The installer had done a little more than i thought but even so a half day job doesnt take all day and then NOT complete it.

I played arond with it for a little while and managed to get it all up and going ( and didnt blow anything, yay) - i will run you by what i have done.

All the wiring had been done but nothing had been connected, so-
    I connected the power, ground and control wires to the amp and wired the speakers.
    Question: I have 4 speakers and one Sub, and a 4ch amp- my head unit has its own sub output.. so, i could wire all 4 speakers to the amp and run the sub from the headunit? yes or no....
    Also, im a little unsure with the settings i have in there at the moment. I have in the back, 220w 3 way 6" in the front i have 260w 4 way 6" a 12" 1000w sub and the amp is 4ch 600w. Only the front speakers are connected to the amp. (god i must sound so stupid right about now, hehe, but we all gotta start somewhere). So any suggestions on what i should do with what i have?
    The link for the specs on the headunit is;
    http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entert...ex.html#anch_3

Any point in the best direction would be totally awsome

the sub-out on you headunit is just a seperate pair of Phono sockets just for the bass, you cant run the sub straight from the headunit, you need to amp it mate, ive done a little quick drawing which may help you out!
    leave the rear speakers wired straight from the headunit using the standard wires
    hope it makes sense!! lol

** NOTE 3 + 4 channels are 'bridged' on the amp, this gives the sub more power!

any questions drop me a u2u mate
    Ash
    *** Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.0 16v ***